Do you say "Poe-table" or "Paw-table"?

• Poe-table

• Paw-table

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name's Chris. I'm new here. I've been plumbing for about 15 years, licensed for 10. I've worked mostly in new-construction of high-rise condominiums, but have also worked, and am currently working in new-construction and renovation of custom homes. I take pride in my work and am very particular. I am fortunate to have found employment where I am allowed, even encouraged to spend that bit of extra time and make everything nice.

Anyways, I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've thrown my two cents into a few threads on this forum already, hopefully providing some degree of assistance to the OP... but I've also come across some interesting and thought-provoking posts as well, which I wasn't really expecting. So I look forward to being a part of the community. Thanks for having me!

TL;DR

I'm fairly confident it's pronounced "poe-table," but I always say "paw-table" when speaking, because for whatever reason, I assume that's the pronunciation most people are familiar with.

I remember someone once explaining to me, "Yeah, its 'paw-table.' Like, you can put the water in a pot and cook with it, or drink it." I didn't, and still don't agree with this logic, but hey, I'm no English major.

So I'm curious, how do You say it?
Cast your vote, I'm interested to see the results.

Thanks! :)

Stuff

Reaction score
Dictionary says it is a long O but I've never heard it pronounced that way.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some people pronounce potash with a long O. I don't like that.

I am up in the air regarding Urine-us vs yer-Anus.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
I find it interesting that there is conflict in the pronunciation of 'potable' by people in the US plumbing trade. It is a very common word used to describe water and piping safe for human consumption. The OP is from Canada and the many Canadians I have spoken to have a very distinctive sound to the letter 'O' . The OP is from Toronto which has a ton of Americans that work and live there so I guess any sound will do! JohnCT has the correct representation, probably because both of us are from the NorthEast.

Reach4

Reaction score
This question was votable. My dictionary is totable. This thread is quotable. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks