Subfloor question-hexagonal cut-out...how to detect future leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
1940's house , house remodel had a 3/8 inch plywood over the old subfloor. The plywood around the toilet was recently replaced, but the person cut out a hexagonal "cut out" around the toilet. My question is , if the toilet leaks in the future around the wax ring, the leak will have to fill the hexagonal cut out before I know there is a leak. What do you recommend to fill the gap between the toilet flange and the plywood...is there some kind of water resistant mixture I can use to fill that space around the flange so that any leak will spill from the flange directly and quickly be visible? Thanks for your advice

Treeman

Reaction score
I am a DIYer and have no experience with this. If I were doing this, I would use an exterior wood filler. If the area you are talking about is very small, you could fill it up with exterior caulk or bathroom caulk (maybe self leveling polyurethane caulk?). If it is a sizeable area and deep, I would use something like 3M Bondo 2 part wood filler:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Bondo-Wood-Filler/?N=5002385+3293241533&rt=rud ....
Bondo turns hard through chemical reaction, not drying.

Pictures would help.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Self-leveling compound/underlayment?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly installed toilet generally does not leak! The key to keeping a toilet from leaking, other than some catastrophic failure where something cracks or breaks, is to ensure that the toilet does not rock or move once set. The most common material to set a toilet is wax. Wax is not like a spring. If the toilet can move, it can break the seal. NOrmally, the horn of the toilet is much smaller than the opening in the toilet, so even if that seal wasn't good, it would still funnel it down the drain, and nothing happens except sewer gasses can escape. But, if there's a backup, and the seal is compromised, yes, it can and unusually will, leak.

So, you only get one chance to set the toilet when using wax. You need to check and accommodate any shims PRIOR to setting the toilet down the last time into the wax. Once it is set into the wax, snug up the bolts. Then, to help prevent it from moving, you caulk around the front 3/4'ers of the toilet. This locks in in place. Using the proper caulk means you can still pull it up later if required (i.e., not silicon!), but leaving the back open, tends to show if it leaks.

Ideally, the toilet flange is installed on TOP of the FINISHED floor, and tight to it with no gaps. If the flange is lower than that, you MIGHT need either a jumbo, or to stack wax rings to ensure a good seal. There's a 'sticky' at the top of this forum that describes how to properly set a toilet. IF you follow that, you should not need to worry about leaking.

If your flange is hanging in thin air, not screwed down to solid material, you need to do something about that to make it solid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks