Soil Stack Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Werner

Reaction score
Since most examples show W.C. connected directly to the soil stack, they always show the stack extended vertically as a vent. In this case I will have some 3" branches running through the joists to a vertical drop to the lower level. Two 3" or maybe a 3" and a 2" roof vent covers the required venting as I understand. Just not sure if I need to add a vent at the stack.

upload_2019-7-12_11-38-36.png

Matt Werner

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

No problem with the vents in the bathrooms, I am designing in appropriate venting at all the fixtures. All vents are currently less than 2 feet downstream.

The question is do I need an additional vent at the vertical stack? Once the fixtures are vented, the horizontal run of 50' is ok, but then it makes a turn into the top of the stack and drops 9' to the drain of the house. So many examples show the stack continuing vertical through the roof, that it seems like the stack vent is required, but I can't find it anywhere in the Michigan Plumbing code.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not find anything in the IPC against your proposal. I am not a plumber. I did find this, which may be of interest:

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/chapter-9-vents
903.2 Frost closure.
Where the 97.5-percent value for outdoor design temperature is 0°F
(48°C) or less, vent extensions through a roof or wall shall be not less
than 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Any increase in the size of the vent
shall be made not less than 1 foot (305 mm) inside the thermal
envelope of the building.​

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks