New York City tap water seasonal temperatures

Users who are viewing this thread

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score
Do any plumbers know what the average temperatures of New York City cold tap water are during each season? My cold tap water seems to be warmer than it should be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a larger and especially taller building in NYC, the water you get will rarely be close to the underground supply. Lots of pipe and maybe a storage tank between you and the supply. So, unlike in a single family home, the water could easily be ambient at some times of the day depending on the building’s usage. Only on a large volume use would you be likely to see the supply water temp.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
In a larger and especially taller building in NYC, the water you get will rarely be close to the underground supply. Lots of pipe and maybe a storage tank between you and the supply. So, unlike in a single family home, the water could easily be ambient at some times of the day depending on the building’s usage. Only on a large volume use would you be likely to see the supply water temp.

On buildings with rooftop storage tanks the cold water can drop pretty close to the freezing mark during extended Polar Vortex type cold snaps. During the summer those same tanks can hit 70F or a bit higher, just like a backyard pool on Long Island might. (I'm not a plumber, don't live in NYC, but I've spend my fair share of time there in all seasons.)

NDL

Reaction score
Do any plumbers know what the average temperatures of New York City cold tap water are during each season? My cold tap water seems to be warmer than it should be.

This is normal.

I am not talking down to you in saying this, but think about it: NYC's water comes from a series of reservoirs. In the summer, the temperature of the water might in the reservoirs might be 70-80 degrees. From there, as someone else noted, it might be stored in a rooftop tank...therefore, when it reaches your faucet, the water will be warm

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score
This is normal.

I am not talking down to you in saying this, but think about it: NYC's water comes from a series of reservoirs. In the summer, the temperature of the water might in the reservoirs might be 70-80 degrees. From there, as someone else noted, it might be stored in a rooftop tank...therefore, when it reaches your faucet, the water will be warm
What do you think the temperature might be in the winter? I ask because I have this problem year round.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
What do you think the temperature might be in the winter? I ask because I have this problem year round.

This sounds like a building specific (not city wide) issue. If potable water plumbing is installed in the same chase as the heating system plumbing (steam heat, is it?) it'll be tepid / warm in winter too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks