Water well losing pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevenneal

Reaction score
I am working on a jet water well system using a packer/injector system on bottom. It’s using 2 inch casing and 150 foot deep. The packer has a check built in but no additional foot valve was installed. The check appears to be only gravity and pressure sealed as there is no spring to hold it. The pump will prime and run but cycles every three minutes to maintain pressure. Have closed all valves leaving volume tank to eliminate other leaks. It appears to be leaking back down in the well. It seems that the only possibilities are leaking check valve, Leather packing on packer, or leaking casing. So I guess my questions are........
  1. Does the regulator on the pump serve as any kind of check?
  2. Does the well casing have the same pressure on it as my volume tank?
  3. Should there be a foot valve also installed on the packer?
  4. Would leaking leather on packer, a bad check in packer, or busted casing cause this?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No the backpressure regulator does not work as a check valve.
Yes the casing is under pressure.
Yes you need a spring loaded check valve on the packer or foot valve on the down pipe.
Yes leathers, bad check, or hole in the casing will leak the water back.

Stevenneal

Reaction score
Thank y’all both for the answers. I have verified that the tank was not water logged. That was one of my thoughts in the beginning when I first started troubleshooting. I believe y’all have answered all of my questions at the moment and have guided me in the right direction. This is actually a friend of mines well and trying to help him out so all the input is greatly appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks