Sewer pipe to city sewer miss aligned

Users who are viewing this thread

mattegel

Reaction score
I am working on buying a house in Normal IL. I had a sewer inspection done and they found that the pipe running out to the city sewer is not aligned (see photo). Is there a code some where that indicates the allowable offset between two connecting pipes? If so, can you give me a link to it. I have searched several places and can't find any code that indicates this.
I believe these are PVC.

Thanks for any help.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUQJtEST2DMNax3h9

Reach4

Reaction score
That is disturbing. That says to me they did not glue the pipes together but just butted them together. Maybe they used rubber flex couplings??

How old is that? I wonder why tree roots are not in there already.

mattegel

Reaction score
That is disturbing. That says to me they did not glue the pipes together but just butted them together. Maybe they used rubber flex couplings??

How old is that? I wonder why tree roots are not in there already.

The house was built in 1997. There is a small tree in the front yard now. Not sure if there was a tree before.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At least you know how far out it is, depth is another. The pipe made have been inspected and passed but when it was back filled the heavy clay soil of Illinois pushed it around. There would never be an allowance for an offset.
This becomes a bargaining chip if you really want the house. Get an estimate to have someone dig down and repair the joint and use that number to wiggle on the offer. It does seem that in the last 22 years it not has been a problem.

mattegel

Reaction score
At least you know how far out it is, depth is another. The pipe made have been inspected and passed but when it was back filled the heavy clay soil of Illinois pushed it around. There would never be an allowance for an offset.
This becomes a bargaining chip if you really want the house. Get an estimate to have someone dig down and repair the joint and use that number to wiggle on the offer. It does seem that in the last 22 years it not has been a problem.

They wouldn't fix it or give me any money off.
Is there code somewhere that states that there is no offset allowed? I am in a legal battle now to get my earnest money back.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Here is your card, no question that offsets are not allowed. I'm not a plumber but pipe is designed to carry liquid or a gas from one end to the other. How can there be any thought of offsets allowed?

See section 705.10 . PVC Mechanical joints .
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/chapter-7-sanitary-drainage

You can claim that this allows waste water (septic) to enter the ground). I'm sure there must be environmental pollution code somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks