Drain replacement and updating to code

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikolai Kuhn

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am in the process of replacing and updating my sewage pipes to code. I live in Amarillo, Tx and the city currently goes by the 2015 IPC. I am outside of city limits but want everything done up to current code if I decide to sell. My first question regards my option for my back to back toilets and tub. They are currently plumbed into a 3 inch cross that has a 2 inch side inlet for the tub. I have read on here about how that is no longer acceptable/desirable with the new toilets and having the water jump the cross. I saw where it is recommended to use a 45 degree double wye fitting. I cannot seem to find the one pictured in the other post that has a side inlet for the tub. Can someone please point me to an acceptable fitting for the back to back toilets with a side inlet for the tub? My second question is can somebody clarify if my shower is vented up to code? The shower is the last fixture plumbed into the drain line before it exits the house so it is down stream of everything else. It looks like they are using the stack that the toilets are tied into for the shower vent since it doesn’t have its own vent. Is this allowed? If I remember my other questions, I will post back. Thank you guys in advance!

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
:)

Attachments

• p611s-030-3.jpg
    p611s-030-3.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 171

Nikolai Kuhn

Reaction score
I’ve seen this but I wasn’t able to find if the side inlet was the drainage style. But I may be mixing up what is being said in the picture I’m going to attach. The picture mentions sanitary and double sanitary tees with a side inlet so does this not apply to the double wye fittings? I tend to overthink simple situations so please forgive me.

Attachments

• 61E9D80B-AFC9-48DA-94B1-950564899B3C.jpeg
    61E9D80B-AFC9-48DA-94B1-950564899B3C.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 184

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I can't find where it specifies if it is a strait or drainage fitting pattern either. maybe give " Charlotte pipe company " a call.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How far away is that Y going to be from the trap, and is the vertical the vent? On a 2" line, the vent should be within 60" of the p-trap on at least one code...not sure which one now. The other common one in the US allows it to be further away.

Nikolai Kuhn

Reaction score
I ended up sending an email to the company that makes the fitting. Hopefully I will get a response on Monday. The upc section on prohibited fittings lists fittings that also have side inlets that can only be used for vents but not waste so not sure that an inlet designates it for drainage. I will post back and let you know what they ultimately tell me if anything. Jadnashua, the p trap is definitely further away than 60 inches. It’s closer to 8 feet if not a little bit further. I will have to measure the exact length when I get home Monday. I’m really thinking I need to add a vent from the shower drain that ties into the main vent stack if that’s allowable.

Nikolai Kuhn

Reaction score
I got a response back from spears (they were who I emailed about their version of the fitting). It was less than useful though. They just told me to refer to the graphic which shows what I already knew about the side inlet. It’s a straight shot into the double fixture fitting so I’m still unsure if is considered to be of the drainage pattern. Just to cover myself, I will not use that fitting rather a double y fitting and plumb the tub into the three inch horizontal line using a 3x3x1.5 wye and 45 degree elbow spears part number p502-337. I also got the vent length measured. The developed length to the vent from the shower is 7 feet four inches so from what I read in the international plumbing code I should be ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks