Bathtub backfilling a different bathtub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mitchell Johnston

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am looking for some help. whenever i take a bath in my master bathroom and i let the the water out it drains into my guest bath tub. i called Roto Rooter to come out and snake my drain thinking it was clogged but he ran the snake all the way threw into my main line. He said that nothing was clogged and that hes not sure why its doing that. Nothing else in my house is having drainage problems. even when the tub is backfilling my other tub i can flush toilets and turn sinks on with no problems. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? My house is about 18 years old I have owned it for the last 7 years with no issues. the problem started after we did a remodel of the whole house after a flood. I reinstalled the same tub in the guest bathroom and bought a new tub for the master. the tubs are back to back with a closet in between them.

Mitchell Johnston

Reaction score
do you know how both p-traps are connected to the drain?
Not sure exactly what your asking. i know i will probably have to cut the sheet rock out to take a look but I am going threw all my other options first. but from my memory i thought the p traps where connected directly to the drains and then the pipes went straight into the concrete slab. but im not 100% sure of that.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
If you didn't change any plumbing other than replacing the bath tubs and everything worked OK before, then
I think that if you don't want to tear anything apart, first go rent a camera snake, (I'm not sure you'll be able to find one that will fit down a 2" pipe but you could look). and send it down the line. run some water down the drain first,
then send the camera down. if the pipe has standing water in it then the drain has sagged or it is pitched towards the bath tub which means
the drain line no longer has a vent. that is the same thing as a clog. who knows what a flood could damage.

Last edited:

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Could simply be the way some one hooked the tubs up. plumbers require a license for a reason.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
the problem started after we did a remodel of the whole house after a flood.

Water flows one way, down hill or there is pressure behind it pushing the water up. I'm thinking that at one point both tubs will be at the same water level and then drain equally. If one drains completely before the other, the drain lines are not pitched correctly or as suggested above, one has sagged.

Generally a slab home the p-trap for the tub is in the ground with about a square foot form around it so it doesn't get covered over when the concrete is poured. Tubs back to back both traps may be in the same opening but probably larger. No way to tell until you can look at it. Is each tub on an outside wall? If yes then as suggested, a camera is needed. If another room, you can cut the drywall from the other side of the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks