Freezing PVC pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianW1

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Just wondering if any plumbers know how a 2 foot by 6 inch piece of PVC, capped at one end and open at the other, would go if used to freeze water. I am wondering if it would survive intact with the expanding water escaping out the top, or if it would split. It would be really great to hear some opinions on the matter.
My partner and I are looking around for something to freeze a cylinder of water in for on-table ice sculptures at a wedding and we have not had any luck with finding anything around that size that we can use.
Cheers
Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I freeze bottled water all the time with good results as long as you do what HJ said

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It'll work but it could be a bear get the ice block out. The capped end would be the area that could give you a problem. If you use a typical pipe end cap the water will expand and the ice will get hung up on the lip of the pipe. The end that you want to cap off will need to be smooth and cut straight. With a sheet of plastic, like a plastic tray or a cutting board, silicone the end of the pipe to the plastic and let it cure, then pour the water into it for freezing. Putting some hot water on the pipe will melt the ice just enough so the ice block slips out. If the ice block doesn't want to come out of the pipe, you can cut the silicone to separate the two and allow you to push onto the ice block for removal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks