Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

BobC

Reaction score
I had used a "disposer kit" to connect a double bowl sink. So, the disposer drains into the tail piece of the other sink. One trap. Inspector said "wrong". Not allowed to drain the disposer into the tail piece of other bowl. Baffle can cause a clog, or the when disposer is on it can come up into other bowl of sink.

He said install a wye and do two traps. The problem is the tail piece of the sink without the disposer and the wall exit are perfectly aligned and a wye and trap will not fit in the space between wall and tail piece.

Questions (choices):
1. Can I offset the vertical tailpiece of the sink with a 45 to move it over so I can get some room. Is this to allowed?
or
2. Can I install a double wye, giving me an offset, and use the middle outlet of the double wye as a cleanout?

BobC

Reaction score
Here is a phot of current setup, see how the exit pipe and trap are in perfect alignment. There is no room for a wye and trap.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 159

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Don't really see any problem.
Here's an image that's been on here for a while.

Attachments

• Kitchen drain with disposer.jpg
    Kitchen drain with disposer.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 141

BobC

Reaction score
Thank you, but inspector said no-go...failed me. He said it needs a wye with two traps. So, back to my original two questions, are either of the solutions okay?

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
It looks like you have enough drain sticking out of the wall that you can cut the trap adapter off and glue on a y-fitting with male
slip trap adapters then install 2 p-traps. It's doable. He's kind strict.

BobC

Reaction score
Yeah that was the plan. I don't think it is going to make it. If I take escutcheon off and measure it all out it misses by about 1/2 an inch. The start of the bend in the trap extension piece is going to be right at the trap adapter. I plan to have all this ready when I cut it off and try, but if it doesnt work. are either of my two options okay by code?

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I like the double wye with the the middle clean out. I think the inspector will like that. you'll need to extend the outlet on the wye that goes to the
disposal with a piece of pipe so it reaches the trap arm on the disposal p-trap. don't use a trap extension piece on the horizontal. it will leak.

BobC

Reaction score
I like the double wye with cleanout best myself, just want to make sure there is not some code violation with using a double wye in this application.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I found this on this site and terry says its OK. I don't see anything wrong with it but your inspector has the final word.
you should try and check with him first.

Attachments

• wye.jpg
    wye.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 216
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks