Need help in apartment building -- warm water from cold tap -Tenant illegal washer?

Users who are viewing this thread

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score
The Problem was in the basement .

The slop sink (service sink) has two separate hose bibs and someone used a Y hose

http://applianceparts365.com/univer...7itoxLIqNsaaPCS9_FR-AarxMKVT4_JeXrxoCaQ3w_wcB

They connected a garden hose to it for tempered water for washing the floors etc.

The problem was they never shut the valves only the nozzle this took over a month to locate . Same thing with washing machines or shower head valves

Very rare do we find a cross connection except back to bac bathroom installations where someone crossed the lines
Was it expensive to fix? I don't think my building wants to investigate further, but do you think my problem could be found in the basement? I used to live in another unit in the same building that had no problems. I just think it's ridiculous to have water temperatures starting 75-80 degrees then taking 10 minutes to cool down. Is my building required by law to look into the problem more or fix the problem? Do you think 311 can issue my building a violation?

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score
Was it expensive to fix? I don't think my building wants to investigate further, but do you think my problem could be found in the basement? I used to live in another unit in the same building that had no problems. I just think it's ridiculous to have water temperatures starting 75-80 degrees then taking 10 minutes to cool down. Is my building required by law to look into the problem more or fix the problem? Do you think 311 can issue my building a violation?
One board member said that when cold water sits in pipes for a while it reaches "ambient temperature" but my previous unit in the same building was 20 degrees cooler. I think it's more of a technical problem maybe in the basement. What do you think?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
What year was the building actually built during during the 1960's . C of O

Easily enough to find which code requirements were enforce

Has anyone asked if the supply risers are galvanized or possibly yellow brass ?

One board member said that when cold water sits in pipes for a while it reaches "ambient temperature" but my previous unit in the same building was 20 degrees cooler. I think it's more of a technical problem maybe in the basement.

What do you think?

The NYC plumbing code in 1968 was the best code NYC had, even the 1939 code was better then the new one

According to NYC plbg code the cold the hot and cold risers shall be separated by at least 6" and the energy codes stated insulation shall be used on the hot water piping as well as steam and hydronic heating and there has to be return circulation of the HW piping that is over 50' from the source

NYC has 4 seasons the C/W supply also has to be insulated to prevent condensation in the walls which can cause dangerous mold conditions.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I think you hold the record for "views".

New YAWKERS be like that , they will ask the same question several times expecting a different answer and hope you will give them one that like

It is a cultural thing in the 5 boroughs

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score

One board member said that when cold water sits in pipes for a while it reaches "ambient temperature" but my previous unit in the same building was 20 degrees cooler. I think it's more of a technical problem maybe in the basement.

What do you think?

The NYC plumbing code in 1968 was the best code NYC had, even the 1939 code was better then the new one

According to NYC plbg code the cold the hot and cold risers shall be separated by at least 6" and the energy codes stated insulation shall be used on the hot water piping as well as steam and hydronic heating and there has to be return circulation of the HW piping that is over 50' from the source

NYC has 4 seasons the C/W supply also has to be insulated to prevent condensation in the walls which can cause dangerous mold conditions.

Thanks for that info, it's very helpful. My building was built in 1927 with galvanized pipes, I'll see if I can find plumbing codes for that time period.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Who ever took the NYC master plumbers 4 part exams and passed in 1982 we had to know both codes

The "old code" 1939 and the new code 1968 as most of the buildings are pre 1968

I doubt the HW risers are galvanized it should be Yellow brass as red brass was very seldom used during the 1920's

I would say a good 60% of the residential buildings and some of the other accounts Mount Saint Vincent and Wave located in Riverdale (10471) are 1920's and one is 1865 with indoor plumbing :) original cast iron and lead water main.

If you have a 1939 or a 1968 plumbing code question I may be able to help as I use both especially in lower Manhattan and landmark buildings

If you're ever in my neck of the woods check out these two schools

https://www.niche.com/k12/horace-mann-school-bronx-ny/

and

https://www.riverdale.edu/page.cfm?p=786

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score

What do you think?

Hi Sylvan,

Thanks again for that info about NYC plumbing codes. I think someone in my apartment line had a plumber who may have put the hot and cold water pipes too close together. If it's a violation of the plumbing code, is the staff required to look into it and fix it?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The "old NYC codes" required the hot and cold water lines be separated by at least 6"

Also even installing a washing machine requires a permit to be taken out by the master plumber

The "staff " by the very nature of them being handymen at best are not supposed to do any type of installations but many do replace faucets and toilets and sinks

Here is the BIS website

TYPE in your Building address and bough and then it will give you a wealth of information

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bispi00.jsp

PiscesDragon212

Reaction score
The "old NYC codes" required the hot and cold water lines be separated by at least 6"

Also even installing a washing machine requires a permit to be taken out by the master plumber

The "staff " by the very nature of them being handymen at best are not supposed to do any type of installations but many do replace faucets and toilets and sinks

Here is the BIS website

TYPE in your Building address and bough and then it will give you a wealth of information

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bispi00.jsp
Hi Sylvan,

One year later and I'm still dealing with this issue. I reported the issue to 311 and HPD but they couldn't do anything about it since there are no defined temperature standards for cold water. I contacted the NYC Housing Deputy Commissioner suggesting the language in the housing requirements to define "cold water", she wrote back to me saying that only the legislative branch of government can makes those changes and encouraged me to contact my City Council member. If you live in New York, maybe you can encourage your City Council member as well to enact legislation that clearly defines "cold water." If there are temperature requirements for hot water, then there should be requirements for something basic like cold water. There's strength in numbers, the more people who speak up about it the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks