Bath Remodel-moving toilet & tub questions

Users who are viewing this thread

schmeckp

Reaction score
Just started a bath remodel that involves upsizing a tub (60"x30" to 72"x36"), removing a closet, and rotating a toilet into it's own space.

Here is the old space - my dilemma is as we ripped open the floor, we found the joists running N-S instead of E-W as shown on the original plans. There is a double joist indicated in red, with the waste for the toilet, tub and a vent all passing through it.

old-bath-plumbing.jpg

The double joist is 4.75" wide, sitting from 15.25" - 20" off the wall on the right. I have enough room to build a false wall and shift the tub to the left 3 or so inches to get the drain on the left of the joists, but the toilet puts me in a bind. How much shift can I get out of an offset flange, or anyone have suggestions to get a toilet centered in a 36" (could maybe go 39.5") space when the joists sit directly in that path? With the 3" drain running all the way to the wall in the adjacent cavity, boxing out the joist would mean putting a 3" hole through the box to get into the space - is that my only option?

bath_joists.jpg

Appreciate any insight.

Mliu

Reaction score
Have you considered a mirror-image layout (move the toilet & tub to the left wall; move the lavatories to the right wall)?

schmeckp

Reaction score
Have you considered a mirror-image layout (move the toilet & tub to the left wall; move the lavatories to the right wall)?
Unfortunately, relocating the whole 3in stack down through the exterior walls is probably more work than messing with the joists. Not to mention the window is slightly left of center, so its better balanced to have the cabinets on the left.

Are there any toilets with side offsets I should look at?

Mliu

Reaction score
Unfortunately, relocating the whole 3in stack down through the exterior walls is probably more work than messing with the joists.
Realize that the joists are structural, so it's not like you can just cut them for your waste pipe and make a little box frame around it. Doing so will significantly reduce the strength of the joists and could cause serious problems, like cracks in your walls. This is especially true since it's a double joist. I would strongly advise against doing it.

I don't know about offset toilets. Perhaps you should call a plumbing supply house.

schmeckp

Reaction score
I've decided on a false wall to shift the toilet and tub space a few inches to the left, which will clear the beam. Now I have a question around venting. As I look at the existing stack, the toilet drains past the current tub drain, which isn't vented by itself. Does the vent that is between the toilet and tub cover the tub? As I read it, the tub needs to be tied into the vent before entering the main stack. Since I'm rebuilding, I assume I need to rework this, adding a vent off the tub branch. Is this correct?

Mliu

Reaction score
I've decided on a false wall to shift the toilet and tub space a few inches to the left
Why the false wall? So the toilet feels like it's in the center of the room? I'd rather have the extra few inches of space.

Btw, pocket doors suck. Especially for something to be used as frequently as a toilet. They are more difficult to open and close compared to a swing door. They make a loud rumbling sound (important late at night when people are sleeping). They don't seal out sound very well, or anything else for that matter. And I've never seen one with a decent latch or lock. I would do everything possible to avoid using one for a toilet room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks