1/4" Copper into Quick Connect

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
Can I connect 1/4" copper tubing to this quick connect?

ZiTwpeC.jpg

I'm 95% sure I can do this since I know I can use the John Guest Quick Connects to connect to copper tubing but I don't know that the quick connects built into this Insinkerator filter housing are actually the John Guest type.

Geobrick

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. They are 1/4 OD and the copper end is nice, smooth and straight (I cut it with a small roll type pipe cutter). Final assembled picture coming soon.

Geobrick

Reaction score
Here's the final project. I added an Insinkerator F2000S filter to an existing Instant Hot dispenser. I used some 1/4 inch blue PEX for the inlet because the opaque polyethene tubing it came with was a litter too short (16") to reach the stop valve.

F0sDQDz.jpg

Mliu

Reaction score
I would try to get the copper pipe to enter the push-to-connect fitting as straight and perpendicular as possible. Since the copper is inflexible, having it enter at even a slight angle means that it's pulling to one side against the o-ring seal. Eventually, that could lead to a leak.

Geobrick

Reaction score
Thanks Mliu,
It's actually straighter than that picture indicates. I have 2 "before" pictures to demonstrate that here:

glyWvzY.jpg

zCeGCxU.jpg

Can it be straighter? Probably.

I think the pipe is held in the center of the fitting's o-ring when it's pushed in fully passed the o-ring. The end of the pipe goes through the o-ring and lands on the other side in an area that keeps it aligned with where it enters the fitting. That landing area and the area where the tubing enters the fitting is where any stress will be handled. If the pipe is properly pushed in place, the o-ring shouldn't be forced to one side or the other unless the pipe has a deformation right about where the o-ring is. I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will tell me) so I'll keep an eye on it.

Mliu

Reaction score
I don't just mean that the tubing that enters the fitting should be straight (which it appears to be), I mean it should enter perpendicular. In all the pictures, it looks like it's entering at a slightly downward angle (although that could partially be the perspective from the angle of view). Try pulling the copper tubing down the wall just a bit more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks