Drake Eco 1.28 Weak Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Kstern01

Reaction score
I just finished remodeling two bathrooms, both of which had ten year old Toto Drake GMax 1.6GPF's in them. So I am very familiar with how they are supposed to work, at least in my house. Well for the remodel I bought one of the old Gmax 1.6GPF units right before they became illegal in California, and had to get the Eco 1.28GPF EMax for the other bathroom. Of course before doing that I consulted this site to find out what people were saying about the EMax especially Terry. Anyway, I had the new Gmax installed and it worked exactly as well as my old ones. Then two weeks later the new EMax went in and the next thing I know my wife is screaming at me that the new toilet was broken and I had to get it fixed now! So a few days later I looked at it and she was absolutely right. The Emax had a very weak flush, and even if I held the handle down, it got more water, but still with a weak flush. Btw, both of the new toilets came with the new Tower style flush valve. So just to make sure, I went up and down the stairs several times(the bathrooms are on different floors) checking the flow on both, and there was no doubt about it. So I got the plumber back today who looked it over, but couldn't find anything wrong. He did adjust the flow on the tower to increase it, but that didn't help either. He also has the same Gmax model at his house, and agreed that this new EMax had a very weak flow but couldn't figure out why. He guessed that it could be a manufacturing defect in the bowl, but didn't have a camera with him to check it out. So I went to the Gmax and timed the opening of the tower from when I pushed the handle down to when it stopped releasing water and it was roughly 1.5 seconds. When I did the same thing with the Emax, it closed in .5 seconds and it closed with what I would just guess was about half the amount coming out of the GMax. Btw, there are no leaks anywhere, and the tank is seated correctly. So my plumber thinks it's a bowl problem, and I think it's a tank problem, but could it also be a tank problem being caused by a bowl problem also? Whew!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated before I just go drive across state lines and get me a GMax?
Btw, I'm already kicking myself for not having my plumber switch the Gmax tank with the Emax tank to isolate the problem to the tank or the bowl!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If holding the handle down doesn't fix the problem, then it's not the tank.

However, if the time open is so short, that could be what I call a "misfire", where the flapper or tower doesn't float properly and thus doesn't stay open long enough. That could be the handle/tower interaction or something else. (With a flapper, usually adjusting the chain fixes it.)

But pushing and holding the handle should duplicate the effect of a properly-operating flapper or tower.

If you want to post a short video of the flush from the tank and then from the bowl perspective, we can analyze. You can put it on youtube and then link it here.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One quick and easy thing to try is to slowly add some water to the bowl to make sure it is filled as high as it can be (until water starts running over the "weir" -- you'll hear it.) Then try a flush. If it works better, it tells you that the bowl isn't getting filled up properly when the tank refills.

Kstern01

Reaction score
If holding the handle down doesn't fix the problem, then it's not the tank.

However, if the time open is so short, that could be what I call a "misfire", where the flapper or tower doesn't float properly and thus doesn't stay open long enough. That could be the handle/tower interaction or something else. (With a flapper, usually adjusting the chain fixes it.)

But pushing and holding the handle should duplicate the effect of a properly-operating flapper or tower.

If you want to post a short video of the flush from the tank and then from the bowl perspective, we can analyze. You can put it on youtube and then link it here.
Here's the video

Kstern01

Reaction score
Here's the video of it flushing from the bowl and tank perspective. Hope I got this right. Never shared a you tube video before.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you add a quart or two of water to the bowl, how much does the waterline rise?

Reach4

Reaction score
That would indicate that the refill was sufficient. I presume the waterline is the same on both the good toilet and the bad toilet.

Kstern01

Reaction score
That would indicate that the refill was sufficient. I presume the waterline is the same on both the good toilet and the bad toilet.
Ok, tried adding two quarts again and measured it better this time. It raised the waterline about 1/4 of an inch and stayed.

Kstern01

Reaction score
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I put a mirror into the bowl to look at the water holes to see if they might be clogged, the big hole at the front of the bowl their is a crack around it. Zoom in on the pic and it's obvious.
Crack around hole.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score

Kstern01

Reaction score

Kstern01

Reaction score
It does, and my plumber adjusted it all the way to the other end and nothing changed.
Btw, he had one heck of a time getting it loose to adjust, almost giving up and buying a new one. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward a problem with the tower.

Reach4

Reaction score
Btw, he had one heck of a time getting it loose to adjust, almost giving up and buying a new one. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward a problem with the tower.
Any warranty on your defective toilet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks