Fleck L5600DM

Users who are viewing this thread

gsgentry

Reaction score
I have a Fleck water softener that we had installed by a local company. After using this a while, it doesn’t feel like it is working as good as I recall that it should, comparing it to my previous GE system. My old system made it feel like you never could get condiditiomer out of your hair. Also didn’t seem to leave deposits as much.

Upon doing some reasearch, I have discovered that my regeneration is set to 10k gallons (or 1k if I’m reading it wrong) and what I think I called salt rate I set to 9 pounds.

With that said, what additional information may be needed to see if these settings are good for us?

Thank you in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't recognize that L5600DM designation. Does it have a digital display?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Post some photos of your control valve with any removable covers removed.

A Fleck 5600 is a time clock operated model with a usual 12 day timer. A Fleck 5600 Econominder incorporates a mechanical metered control to initiate regeneration.

We will need to know the total grains capacity or cuft of resin contained. If that is not known, measure the tank height and diameter so we may estimate the quantity of resin contained.

We will also need to know your actual water hardness quantity, whether private well or municipal water supply, and your usual water consumption or number of people living in the home. If the water source is a private well, is there iron and/or manganese present?

There is often a label located near to the brine line connection which identifies the BLFC restrictor that is installed.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this has the Fleck Econominder control.

gsgentry

Reaction score
Here are. 2 pictures. I don’t have the full picture of the front, but there is a red button to push that allows you to turn daily to change time, that’s it.

I am told it’s a 32,000 grain. Water hardness was 19 gpg. City water. 12 gpm flow.

I would have to check to see what is on brine tank, but not home at the moment.

Attachments

• CFC78276-21C6-41C8-B763-FB67494F1A64.jpeg
    CFC78276-21C6-41C8-B763-FB67494F1A64.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 32A8B162-5CF6-4C30-BE88-A51823F19F71.jpeg
    32A8B162-5CF6-4C30-BE88-A51823F19F71.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 379

gsgentry

Reaction score
Oh... and we have 3, sometimes 4 people in the house. And i was told the system regerates based on demand, not just a set date and time, thus what I think the 10k or 1k number is.

Reach4

Reaction score
Oh... and we have 3, sometimes 4 people in the house. And i was told the system regerates based on demand, not just a set date and time, thus what I think the 10k or 1k number is.
We also need the hardness. Your reserve will start at, lets say, 180 gallons. Lets say your hardness is such that the softener can soften 1080 gallons. So 1000-180 is 900. This is an example not knowing your hardness info.

Anyway, the black wheel on the has a white dot. Pull the clear part with the x100 on it away from the black. Rotate to put the 9 over the white dot.

Now post your water hardness, and if water is from your own well, the iron number.

gsgentry

Reaction score
White dot is currently on 10.

As stated my hardness was 19 gpg per my installers sheet and I do not have a well. It’s city water.

Reach4

Reaction score
White dot is currently on 10.

As stated my hardness was 19 gpg per my installers sheet and I do not have a well. It’s city water.
Sorry. Missed it. I compute 1037 gallons before the reserve, so set the white dot under 1o, or under 10.5. I think 0.5x100 is the resolution.

Last edited:

gsgentry

Reaction score
Ok so set white dot to 9. Does anything need to change on the back side? It’s set to 9...

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok so set white dot to 9.
White dot on 9 should make the unit regenerate a little more often.

In your photo, the black arrow points to zero. When that occurs, the unit should regenerate at 2 am and the black arrow should point to 9 or 10 as appropriate. If your unit stayed pointing to zero for 24 hours, there is a failure.

9 for the salt is a little richer than usual, but given your symptoms, I would leave it that way for now.

Last edited:

gsgentry

Reaction score
On the front, you say to change the white dot from 10 to 9. Got it.

But the salt use or whatever on the back, which is my first picture, what should that be set to. Currently it’s 9 as you see in the picture.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok so set white dot to 9.
White dot on 9 should make the unit regenerate a little more often.

In your photo, the black arrow points to zero. When that occurs, the unit should regenerate at 2 am and the black arrow should point to 9 or 10 as appropriate. If your unit stayed pointing to zero for 24 hours, there is a failure.

9 for the salt is a little richer than usual, but given your symptoms, I would leave it that way for now.

Bannerman

Reaction score
With a city supply, there are often multiple water sources and each source may have a unique hardness quantity. To anticipate some hardness variance throughout each day, it is advisable to add 2-3 grains additional to the hardness test reading obtained at your location. As such, you may wish to program for 21 or 22 grains per gallon as opposed to 19.

32K grains is the total softening capacity for 1 cuft of resin. To optimize salt efficiency, not all capacity will be utilized before regeneration occurs.

For 24,000 usable grains capacity, 8 pounds salt would be required (3,000 grains per pound salt efficiency). Alternately, 6 lbs salt would be required for 20K grains (3,333 grains/lb) usable capacity.

The Fleck 5600 EM when assembled, will usually be pre-set for 9 lbs salt so it is the installer's obligation to adjust the settings as appropriate.

Because the 5600 EM front dial is calibrated in gallons and does not include a separate reserve setting, the usable capacity in grains will need to be converted to gallons less 1-day reserve.
24K / 21 gpg = 1,143 gallons - 180 gallons reserve (60 gal X 3 ppl) = 963 gallons capacity setting
The capacity wheel indicates each capacity number is X100 gallons.

As you sense the water is not as soft as it was initially, the resin's total capacity may have been exhausted and could be allowing some hardness leakage through. Whenever the resin has been exhausted, additional capacity above 24K should be restored.

With your current 9 lb salt setting, there will already be 3 gallons water in the brine tank (each gallon will dissolve 3 lbs salt). Using a bucket, add an additional 2 gallons, wait 1.5-2 hours for an additional 6 lbs salt to dissolve, then perform a manual regeneration to restore 30K total capacity.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks