Converting floor drain to cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Clax66

Reaction score
hi guys,
I have a 4" PVC floor drain. for reason I won't get into I want to convert it to a clean out. The PVC pipe is flush with the poured concrete floor. What product would be best to accomplish this? It would be nice if it had a nice brass or stainless steel cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Consider an inside caulk Cast Iron Clean out and and cut around the PC do it can be set level

Z-py8zqcpIx_.JPG

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
Its not really the answer to your question, but when I installed a basement floor drain I used this one by Sioux Chief

It is floor drain with a plug you can remove to use it as a cleanout. It also has a knockout for a trap primer.

Bruce

Clax66

Reaction score
This will be a polished concrete floor in a finished laundry room so it will need to look good and be fairly smooth and level with floor. I have products online but unsure how they would work with a existing poured floor. I can chip around the PVC pipe but would prefer to keep this to a minimum. cutting the pipe down can be done as well as I have an inside pipe cutter

Clax66

Reaction score
the Cast Iron Clean out is the right idea but a little too rough looking.
I wish we had put in the Sioux Chief when we had the chance. the floor has in floor heating so breaking the floor is kinda not an option

Reach4

Reaction score
. for reason I won't get into I want to convert it to a clean out.
If that reason is a concern for backups, you might be able to put a test plug into the bottom of the drain bowl.
red-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33400-64_145.jpg

Clax66

Reaction score
is this test plug permanent? Permanent in that it will hold until I decide to take it out. There is a 'possibility' of backups and I don't want to take any chances.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think they are long-lived. You need to get the size right. There are ones sized by nominal size, and some sized differently.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
GET A Flush plug to prevent tripping It was just to give you an idea on how to do it

Last edited:

Clax66

Reaction score
Thanks Sylvan. That looks good but my floor is finished. That product looks like it needs to be installed prior to the floor being poured. I am just a DIYer so maybe I am not understanding the product. I was hoping there would be something like a toilet flange that glued inside the 4" PVC drain. Maybe a little chipping of concrete to allow the cover to be flush with the floor surface. What do you think about this one?

Zurn CO2452-PVC PVC Adjustable Finished Area Cleanout with Nickel Bronze Cover, 3" x 4" Solvent Weld Pipe Size, 5-3/16" Diameter

It looks like I will need to cut the pipe down a few inched below the surface. Its hard to tell from the description.

51g7P7YtmEL.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Same indea. a little chipping around the pipe and set the CO over the piping as we do in replacing roof drains all work from the top

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your floor drain should have a trap under it so it would be completely useless as a functioning cleanout, unless the trap is removed and replaced with an elbow.

Clax66

Reaction score
Plumber friend told me the drain would work since it was 4" PVC. Likely not perfect but would work. The main thing is that it gets covered with a good seal.

Reach4

Reaction score
6a00e550bbaeb388340115721942a8970b-120wi
Some floor drains have a cleanout plug in the bowl, that bypasses the trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some, but not all, in fact, very few, and I would never even consider trying to "snake" a drain through a "P" trap. I doubt that your "plumber friend" has ever unplugged a drain line.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
We snake through P traps almost on a daily basis going through the trap inlet NEVER though the CO plug under the traps

What happens when your retrieving the cable and there is a big clump of hair on the end of the cable ? It will not come though the small opening most P traps have

Removing the trap causes another problem as 99.% of the traps are brass screwed onto on a galvanized nipple and once the trap is removed to snake the line the galvanized threads are gone from electrolytic action so now we are replacing the nipple and trap

So we compromise by removing the waste fitting above the trap and then snake the lines though the trap inlet

Yesterday I was on a job and and used a trap leader on my 1/2" cable to allow me to easily pass through a 3 " cast iron P trap for a floor drain

With the right sewer /drain cleaning cables or even using a General Ram Jet most P traps are very easy to pass a cable thought it is what is behind the taps that can be a challenge such as short turn fittings or back to back installations

Clog chopper easily makes turns though 3" openings

https://drainbrain.com/en/generals-clogchopper-tieger-tail/

If the stoppage is not roots or a rag etc then the Ram jet will work as I have 6 of them ( 3 are for sale)

http://old.drainbrain.com/why/waterramsuccessstories.html

Also I use a Water Cannon 2 HP electric Water Jetter 2 GPM with a 1/8th stainless steel hose (made by Mustang) hose and it fys thought reaps and ells . The rubber hoses also work but have a lot more friction

Want to buy a General Super Vee :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks