How to open the old, rusty panel to add breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Ray Zhu

Reaction score
Need some help.

I am thinking of adding breakers to the the old, rusty panel, and but not sure how to open it without causing damage. Some pictures of the box below

There is a knob near the center bottom, both does not move easily.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20181216_075940685_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181216_075543751.jpg

IMG_20181216_075417606.jpg

IMG_20181216_075428474.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No go here fore that panel is beyond its useful life. I would hate to see what the interior must look like and the connections on the buss for the breakers are probably equally bad. Any recommendation on this forum is to replace the entire panel. By chance are you near salt water?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While common in some places, I'm not a proponent of having your breaker box outside. FWIW, you're supposed to have covers on those open spots. They're just plastic pieces that pop in, but they can help keep insects, moisture, dust, etc. out of the box while keeping curious fingers from getting shocked.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In AZ almost ALL panels are outdoors.
I realize lots of them are outside, but I'm not a fan of having to go outside to reset a breaker. At least in AZ, it may not rain or snow regularly most places. Even there, though, they can rust, not counting get dust and sand inside which doesn't help the electrical connections or the cover and case.

From the looks of it, there's enough rust on the hinge that it's going to take some force to open the thing up. A shot of penetrating oil might help make it easier after it sits for awhile.

Norcal01

Reaction score
While this is a old thread, that panel is a old Challenger, and they have been gone since 1994-95, just like their predecessors, Zinsco, and Sylvania, their 3R panels rusted badly because they were cheap garbage. The OP can grab the knob on the dead front & put a screwdriver between the edge of the front & inside of the box, then pry it out while pulling on the knob, being very careful not to stick the screwdriver too far inside since one cannot see behind it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks