Bad WS Resin symptoms?

Users who are viewing this thread

rdsnake

Reaction score
I think my resin may be bad inside my twin tank 9100SXT. I wanted to know what are the typical symptoms of bad resin?

Background info. Installed 9100SXT in 2012 to help with Iron problem (1-2 PPM) and hardness (24 GPG). I keep fighting issues of the softener not regening on it's own. I would get a error code 1 and I would have to manually unplug it (I've still been fighting this issue). So I've fouled the bed many times over during first install in 2012. I was still getting Iron staining throughout the house.

In 2016 I decided to install a KL filter before the WS along with a new pressure tank. During this time I had my settings on the WS checked by a member on the board. Everything is correct with the settings. Life was good until the WS wouldn't regen and the water would start to get hard.

The problem I face now is towards the end of a cycle, I notice the water is not as soft as a fresh manually regen tank. Even If it cycles to the other tank, the water performance isn't as great as a manually regen. I tried tuning the Hardness setting on the WS up to 50 and the performance is better but still isn't the best.

Is this just typical issues due to how hard my water is? Could the resin be shot? I haven't noticed any pressure drop in the water which would be a indication of bad resin. I'm open to suggestions.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Iron takes up considerable capacity from the resin and tens to foul it. If you want to try to salvage the resin you could try using a lot of citric acid. Dissolve it into a gallon of hot water, pour it into the brine well and start a regeneration. For severely fouled resin as I suspect your resin is, you can unplug the softener anf bypass it as soon as all the brine water is pulled from the brine tank. This will allow the citric acid to soak in the resin. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour and then plug the power back in and take it out of bypass. Repeat with the second tank. Worth a try if you want to try to bring your unit back to life.

rdsnake

Reaction score
I will try the citric acid trick and see what happens. In the event that it isn’t successful, would I be a good candidate for 10% cross hatch resin?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks