Cold water on hot side

Users who are viewing this thread

Victory Magnum

Reaction score
Hello, i am hoping someone can help. My heating and plumbing has worked fine since i built my house 10 years ago. Then i started getting very hot water when i turned my cold faucets on. I had my honeywell am-1 mixing valve replaced and it is still doing it. I have a Biassi boiler and an indirect water heater. All my faucets have separate direct lines off a hot and cold manifold respectively. The cold supply feeds my indirect water heater at the bottom and also supplies the cold manifold from the cold water storage pressure tank. The mixing valve was set up with the cold side facingmthe cold manifold, the hot side facing my hot manifold and the mix port is fed from the top ofmthe indirect heater. My thought was there should be a check valve to stop the hot water from flowing to the cold manifold and that once the water mixes it would only be allowed to flow to the hot manifold. Am i kissing something. I cant find a diwgram online that looks like mine. The odd part is that it also worked flawlessly for 10 years. I can add a pic if necessary. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some single-handle faucet designs, when they start to fail, can allow the hot/cold water to cross over. That is a much more likely candidate as the source of your problem, especially after replacing the tempering valve and getting the same results.

Victory Magnum

Reaction score
Some single-handle faucet designs, when they start to fail, can allow the hot/cold water to cross over. That is a much more likely candidate as the source of your problem, especially after replacing the tempering valve and getting the same results.
I can feel the hot water in the cold manifold. It is every faucet

Reach4

Reaction score
I can feel the hot water in the cold manifold. It is every faucet
Don't use hot for a while, so the hot pipes cool. Run cold that turns hot from one of your fixtures. Feel the pipes out of the hot manifold several feet from the manifold (do your best given the access). The hot one is the one connected to the fixture doing the cross-connect.

If this does not work, and your manifold has individual valves, close half of the valves. Does the problem happen? Try the other half closed. You can do a binary search, and locate the culprit pretty fast I am thinking.

Last edited:

Victory Magnum

Reaction score
Here are a couple photos
20190220_231505.jpg
20190220_231542.jpg

Victory Magnum

Reaction score
The top photo shows cold manifold on left, hot on right and mix valve in the middle. I would think that the water could not flow thru the mix valve into the cold but rather feed the mix valve thru the cold. If I run the cold a while it will get cold and then the manifold is cold. As soon as I turn it off the hot water flows right back into the cold manifold and it is hot to touch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks