Split Bus Panel

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
I have what I hope no one will call a dumb question:

I have a GE split bus panel. The panel is rated for 2oo amps, but the bottom section is rated at only 100 amps AND is protected with a double pole 100 amp breaker.

The top half has a total of 6 double pole breakers (AC, oven, water heater, dryer, 50 amp double pole breaker feeding a sub panel in a detached small shop, and the 100 amp double pole breaker feeding the bottom section of the electrical panel.

It is my understanding the bottom section is normally referred to as the lighting section. There is one free open slot in the bottom section where I could install a double pole breaker. Would it be allowable for me to add a 15 amp double pole breaker in this section for a 1 HP submersible pump? Or, are only 120 volt circuits allowed in the lighting section???????

Thanks so very much!

TVL

Reaction score
IMG_0668.jpg
Do you have a model number for your panel?

TVL

Reaction score
Reading over the article you provided, I saw the following:

One of the top main 240-volt breakers feeds the bottom bus bars, which is typically 120-volt household lighting and receptacle circuits

So, does "typically" indicate that there can be a 220 volt double pole breaker in the mix as well?? It certainly doesn't indicate one can't. However, I do want to be certain!

Stuff

Reaction score
Sometimes the bottom is referred to as the appliance and lighting section. There is nothing limiting other that the overall 100 amp breaker.

Yes, you can put 240v loads in the bottom section. The legs are staggered to support this. Looks like the panel is not too old so would take either a THQL or THQP (slim) double pole breaker. The slim only fit certain spots.

kevreh

Reaction score
TVL-

Not sure what you ended up doing, but funny that that's the same brand and type panel I had in my house (but it was a 150amp panel). In my case the bottom was getting crowded with a bunch of slim breakers. Some were double pole. Can't say for sure it was ok, but it was never flagged when I bought the house or had a couple electricians over the years add a circuit here or there.

With newer appliances (induction cooktop, countertop oven) and a circuit for my table saw, and all the other house circuits it was too much for the 80 amp breaker. The top of the panel (above the "split") fed our oven, AC fan, and a couple other high amp things. Things were not balanced.

The panel was getting very packed and the wiring was a bit of a rats nest. Safe, but disorganize and jammed in there. So I hired an electrician to put in a new 200amp panel with a main breaker. Lot more room, neater wiring, no slim breakers, and if I ever needed to add/remove breakers I can do so with peace of mind knowing the whole panel is de-energized.

Guy48065

Reaction score

Still not clear WHY these panels were ever made--unless exploiting the 6-throw NEC rule is enough reason to create this class of breaker panels.

I have one of these in my early-70's home and mine (a Murray) has TWO lower sections, each fed by its own Main in the top section.
One of the bottom groups is all 15A breakers, the other is all 20A. Maybe that's another reason for their existence: To satisfy an electrical engineer's OCD.

Functionally it's fine but by having SIX Mains for all my circuits it rules out any cheap whole-house generator solution.

Stuff

Reaction score
Back then residential breakers over 100 amps were super expensive or unreliable and no one wanted the old fashioned fuses. Yes, the market exploited the six throw rule. It wasn't until the early 80's that codes stopped allowing them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks