Big blue sediment filter cap Backwards? other questions

Users who are viewing this thread

MaplesonD

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got my water softener installed ~3 years ago with a lot of research and help from this forum. Immediately after it was installed, we had great results, I could see the hard water in the dishwasher element clear away after a few washes, stains stopped forming on countertops, etc. We don't go through much salt, I never carved out the time to learn about its operation, and today is only the second time I've changed the sediment filter.

I noticed that it looks like where the water goes into the sediment filter, the black plastic cap on the big blue tub is labeled out. The other side, labeled in, where the air release button is, is where the water exits to go to the softener. Is this ok, does it have a significant effect on the function of the filter or the system as a whole?

Over time, we have noticed that our glasses are accumulating hard water stains. So i ordered the Hach total hardness test kit online to test the water. The sample turned blue after one drop, indicating a hardness level <1 grain per gallon. So it seems that the water softener is working, but why would the glasses still get the hard water stains?

I also get ResCare, which was what the guy that installed my softener used initially. There is an automatic feeder in the brine tank, but it seems to go through the rescare pretty quickly, and even though I have not filled up the reservoir, I can see that the brine still looks like the blue color of the Rescare. Just wondering how quickly this is used up and if I really need it all the time or just every once in a while?

Thanks for any input.

Reach4

Reaction score
Over time, we have noticed that our glasses are accumulating hard water stains.
Stains? Like cloudy? If it rinses off, it is salt. If it does not, it may be silica.

For your fancy crystal or eyeglasses, you can spray distilled water generously on the glasses after rinsing in soft water. For the everyday glasses, know that the haze is not harmful.

MaplesonD

Reaction score
It does not rinse off, but i could scrape it off with a knife. Lemon/vinegar didn't seem to improve or remove them but I'm going to try a long vinegar soak experiment tonight to rule that out completely. The stains/cloudiness shows up most commonly on the rim of the glasses, presumably because they are upside down in the dishwasher and thats where the water sits and evaporates from. When I had my water analyzed 3 years ago, the silica content was ~30 mg/L, from google it seems that is just north of normal.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds like silica. As to the filter, if it is plumbed in backwards the water will flow from the inside to the outside of the cartridge, not exactly the correct way. You should notice the inside or core is dirty and not the outside. If this is not the case and your outside part of the filter is clean and your core is dirty, then it is likely your softener is plumbed in backwards. Regardless, double check and correct the flow paths.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If the amount of dishwasher detergent was not reduced substantially when the softener was installed, then glassware will often become etched from the alkalinity of the detergent. Once glasses are etched, there is no way to correct the situation except to replace them.

Prior to installing our softener, we were filling both dispenser cups with powdered detergent. With our 24 gpg hardness, dishes were still not thoroughly cleaned and clear drinking glasses became covered with calcium deposits. Once the softener was installed, the calcium deposits quickly disappeared but the clear glasses soon started becoming cloudy from being etched. Once we learned an appropriate quantity of detergent to use, we now typically only fill 1/3-1/2 of one detergent dispenser.

We find some glassware such as from Ikea is more prone to etching than other brands, regardless of the amount of detergent used. We have now been using glassware from Libbey for more than 2 years and they remain clear and looking like new.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks