Identify toilet parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Loneriver

Reaction score
Hi. I am in the process of replacing the wax ring on my toilet this morning. When I turned off the water and then disconnected the inlet hose from the toilet I noticed on the ground a small washer and a large rubber auger-shaped piece. I had turned my head so I can't be 100% sure they came out of the fill valve when I disconnected the hose but nowhere else makes any sense. Can you tell me where they go and how to put back or if the fact that they are out means something is actually broken and needs to be replaced. I have attached pictures of the inside of the tank to see my setup, the rubber piece and washer, and a picture looking up into the pipe of the fill valve assembly. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5507.JPG
    IMG_5507.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5508.JPG
    IMG_5508.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5513.JPG
    IMG_5513.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 223

Plumber Man

In the Trades
Reaction score
The rubber piece is a restrictor that needs to be pushed back up into the fill valve with the closed end up, it reduces the flow of the city water pressure into the valve.

Loneriver

Reaction score
The rubber piece is a restrictor that needs to be pushed back up into the fill valve with the closed end up, it reduces the flow of the city water pressure into the valve.
Thank you so much! I'm trying to find an exploded view of this Kohler Ingenium 85297 fill valve online to see if the washer is part of it but no luck yet since it is discontinued. Anyone else know about the washer?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That fill valve is just a relabeled Fluidmaster 400A. The manufacturer will make a batch for Kohler and stick Kohler's name on it.

I'm a fan of the Korky 528MP fill valve, which many folks on here like. It's simple for a homeowner to install, and a generation later than that 400A. If you're gonna have a plumber do it, most will use the Fluidmaster. The 528MP allows you to adjust the percentage of the fill water that goes into the toilet bowl, so it refills the bowl fully but doesn't waste water on the refill. They're all in the $10-12 range, and a straightforward DIY job that should take even the rankest novice less than 30 minutes to put in. It takes me about 5 mins., and I don't do it for a living.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks