Help removing old Kohler bathroom faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

natetrop

Reaction score
I have an old Kohler faucet in my bathroom, probably 1960s vintage, and I am unable to remove the nuts from the underside to get the faucet off. I have hit it with seafoam green a few times, as well as whacked it with a mallet, they wont budge.

I can get the water lines off. Worried that I will need to replace the entire sink.

CEbNxYa.jpg

h8IpDV7.jpg

Last edited:

Plumber Man

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have an oscillating tool cut the nuts from the bottom to the top you'll be able to put a flat bladed screwdriver in there and spread the nug apart.
If you do not have the oscillating tool use a drill and drill bit and drill the nut from the bottom to the top.
It is brass so it will cut easy.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That or cut the bottom section off so you can get a socket on the nut. Once that is done you can use an extension on the socket to put yourself in a better working position.

natetrop

Reaction score
Thanks, I was able to remove it using a rotary tool. My next challenge is removing the drain, if you have any suggestions I will happily take them. I was able to loosen the nut, but the drain wont budge.

Tried the same things, seafoam green and whacks with a mallet.

mSX34fA.jpg

J2Z7oJZ.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure you want to save the sink? Looks like the finish is gone at about the 7:30 position around the drain.

natetrop

Reaction score
We are planning on replacing the entire vanity in the summer, this was just replacing a leaky faucet in the mean time.

My other option is just to leave it as is with the new faucet and install the drain on the new sink in the summer.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We are planning on replacing the entire vanity in the summer, this was just replacing a leaky faucet in the mean time.

My other option is just to leave it as is with the new faucet and install the drain on the new sink in the summer.

I would't bother putting a new drain in that sink. You can go to Menards and get a nice looking vanity top with a pre-installed undermount sink for about $100.00

natetrop

Reaction score
I would't bother putting a new drain in that sink. You can go to Menards and get a nice looking vanity top with a pre-installed undermount sink for about $100.00

Sounds good, thanks. We have to re-do the floors and paint when we do the new vanity which is why we are waiting until the summer.

Thanks for all your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks