Looking for help rebuilding shower mixer valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kithylin

Like a Fox!
Reaction score
As the title says I have an old house with a leaking shower mixing valve. The house was built in 1979 and I'm guessing it's probably the original piece. I'm pretty handy and I've replaced a lot of plumbing here in the house already. I have a pretty good idea of what to do to fix this.. unscrew the end, pull valve out, insert new one, screw it back, done. What I need help with is identifying the mixer valve, and (hopefully) folks here can help me find a replacement part online.

Pictures:
YQpyYhX.jpg

7VI2Mfx.jpg

I have no idea what type of mixer valve this is. So I guess first step is identifying it, and then once I know what it is maybe I can find the replacement part.

Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated. Yes I could call a plumber and they could probably fix it straight away but that would probably be a multiple-hundred-dollar fix. Where as I'd rather try and do it myself. I see some mixer valve rebuild kits on ebay for like $15. I just don't know which one would fit this.

And no I rather not remove the valve it's self to look at it. Due to the age, I'm pretty sure once I take it out that what ever is left of the rubber inside will likely disintegrate and then I won't be able to put it back on until I get a replacement part.. and if it won't seal again that could mean weeks without water in our house while I wait for parts to arrive. So I'd rather try to identify it as is and only remove it when I have replacement part in hand.

Kithylin

Like a Fox!
Reaction score
Oh wow, that definitely looks just like it. And cheaper. Thank you. So that's probably it then.

Kithylin

Like a Fox!
Reaction score
I found one on ebay (Same part #) that's just $11.00 free shipping. I managed to turn it off hard enough with a pair of vise grips so it's just a very slow drip like 1 drop per hour and I'll just order that. Thanks again. I may have to come back to these forums for my next plumbing question. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks