Kitchen sink strainer with integrated plastic bell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dick Rettug

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the drainage on this unusual (for me, at least) kitchen double sink. The pictures tell the tale: rather than being held to the sink by a metal bell and nut, the SS strainer has a plastic bell clipped around the strainer center posthole. The male threads I'm used to seeing at the bottom of the strainer are instead at the end of the bell housing.

1 Strainer top view.jpg 2 Bell housing with male threads.jpg

I think I'm ok with this plastic approach, except that I had to rely on an adapter (that's a Lesso 1-1/2" ABS-DWV union in the picture) that doesn't seem to quite mate properly. I suppose it may be a bad thread on either fitting, but before my nth try I thought I'd ask the forum if I'm going down the wrong road. Is this system questionable from the get-go, and should I start thinking of replacing the strainer and go old school?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You connect the regular flanged tailpiece to the drain with an ordinary slip nut. It is NOT a "pipe thread". Line up the ribs on the top piece with those on the lower section.

Dick Rettug

Reaction score
I don't think I called it a pipe thread. Are you suggesting that "ribs" rather than "threads" is the proper term? Or am I still misunderstanding?

In any case, the top half of the union is a (thick, plastic) slip nut; and while neither the male or female threads/ribs are tapered I've been unable to get them fully engaged. I think the top threads/ribs are either manufactured to a slightly different pitch (unlikely; though doesn't the UK have a denser threads-per-inch standard?) or subtly damaged. Will have another close look. Thanks for your input.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
That thing you call a "union" - is it an 1 1/2 "swivel plug tray adapter"? It looks to me like the nut is cross-threaded.

Dick Rettug

Reaction score
Just to update: the problem was with the threading on the Lesso ABS-DWV fitting. Solved with a brass slip-ring nut and short flanged tailpiece and washer. Thanks to all for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks