New remodel bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddie Hong

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the process of remodeling the bathroom, and looking at getting a new toilet, my plumber said something about UPC code stamped on the toilet?

I wanted to get a smart toilet that flushes and clean itself, I am not sure if it has UPC code on it.

SO my question is, do I need to find a toilet with UPC stamped on it, or the plumber just needs to follow the UPC code std.?

Thank you in advance for the help

Ed

Eddie Hong

Reaction score
Thank you Terry!! I found one I really like its a off brand, I ask the supplier if its UPC they don't seem to know

How can I find out by looking at the toilet?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you Terry!! I found one I really like its a off brand, I ask the supplier if its UPC they don't seem to know

How can I find out by looking at the toilet?

I would look up the website for them. There should be a listing as to what codes it meets.
I pulled this from the TOTO Neorest spec sheet.

CODES/STANDARDS • Meets and exceeds ASME A112.4.2, ASME A112.19.2/CSA B45.1, ASME A112.18.1/CSA B125.1, UL 1431, CSA C22.2 # 68 • Certifications: IAPMO(cUPC), State of Massachusetts, City of Los Angeles and others • Code Compliance: UPC, IPC, NSPC, and others • Complies with CA Prop 65 warning requirements

Eddie Hong

Reaction score
Thank you Terry, sorry for the late reply. I think my friend just bought one of those toilets its a off brand and price was right. So he can't install it at all?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you Terry, sorry for the late reply. I think my friend just bought one of those toilets its a off brand and price was right. So he can't install it at all?

I didn't say he couldn't install it. I just answered what to look for on the spec sheets as an example. I'm sure if it's sold in the US, it would have the proper approvals.

Eddie Hong

Reaction score
Thank you guys, we are trying to find out more about the one he bought. We have not be able to find out the specs and we don't see any markings on the toilet

Eddie Hong

Reaction score
If he fails inspection, does it mean he have to take it out? Or is there a way he can get it exempt?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Technically, as far as I know, no, if it hasn't been tested and approved, it should not pass an inspection. In most cases, there are a few exceptions, stores can sell stuff that isn't code compliant, but that doesn't mean you should use it. On something like a toilet, it probably won't have a stamp or sticker, but if it is compliant, it should show up on their packaging and you should be able to find their test result certification on their website. The test is not something you can do in your home...it takes a lab with certified equipment to verify it meets the minimum requirements.

Eddie Hong

Reaction score
Thank you, I told my friend he can install it and see what the inspector says . worst case is they might just have him remove it

He can't return it so nothing he can do at this point

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks