Venting Issue With Shower Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

bob_cville

Reaction score
We are remodeling our Master bath with a plan of changing the 3 foot by 4 foot one piece fiber glass shower to a tiled shower with two tiled walls and two glass walls.

I found this picture looking toward the shower which has the door in front of the toilet and a wall dividing the the shower from the rest of the bathroom.

We've removed the fiberglass shower stall and then removed that wall but in the process of doing so found that there was a vent pipe inside that wall.

DSC_0166 (2).jpg

The second image is standing in front of where the shower was, with a hole cut into the subfloor to see the drain plumbing beneath.
Resized_20181211_170142001_3113.jpeg

You can see the drain for the shower with the trap beneath in the center of the picture (where they cut the joist completely to install the drain pipe) and the 2" pipe extending over toward the left of the picture which is the drain for the bath tub. The 1 1/2" pipe stub is the vent pipe that was inside the stub wall that was removed. I think that makes the segment of 2" drain from that vent pipe over to the wye a wet vent.

The supply pipes and shower controls and shower head were also all in that stub wall. The plan is to shift the supply pipes over to the wall on the right but since that is an outside wall, to fir that wall out 4 inches and run the pipe in that space. When the vent pipe was discovered the thought was to run it inside that firred out wall space as well, but I keep looking at what is there and cannot figure out how to run things to make that work. Every idea I have come up with has a horizontal non-wet vent-pipe extending over to the right.

Furthermore since the 1 1/2" vent pipe was also the vent pipe for the bathtub it seems to be a problem for it not to be there. This picture is standing in front of the shower looking toward the tub.
It also seems from what I've read that the distance from the tub trap to that vent pipe was too great in any case. It measures just about 8 feet.

DSC_0164 (2).jpg

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

-Bob

bob_cville

Reaction score
As a possible plan "B" for the project one option being discussed is to place a column (of some sort TBD) at the corner of where the new tiled shower will be, and put the 1 1/2" vent pipe inside that column, so that the vent is roughly in the same location as before, but closer to the tub.

Then the shower pan and curbs and walls would be tiled, as well as the two inside edges of the new column. When that is done, a plain glass panel would be installed on the 5 foot side between the wall and the column, and a swinging glass door would be installed between the column and the other tiled wall.

If that cannot be done I think plan "C" is to put the stub wall back at a spacing of 60" instead of 48" and then tile three walls of the alcove and install a sliding 5" glass door.

-Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks