Can i install one of these light on an exterior wall and be within code and fine with an inspector

Users who are viewing this thread

seandunn

Reaction score
I have nearly wrapped up the rough in on my house remodel, and went to install one of these lights. the mounting is for a pole connection but i have seen many online install this with only wall support and a standard box. is this fine per code? is there a preferred method to do so? my siding is some form of crappy particle board and batten from the early 70's. thanks

Attachments

• 71Pf71JkO+L._SL1500_.jpg
    71Pf71JkO+L._SL1500_.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 174

Stuff

Reaction score
That doesn't look like it is designed to be attached or supported by a box. Track down the installation instructions and read what it shows.

Stuff

Reaction score
Never done one of these but it looks like there are many that use the same wall mounting bracket. Directions seem to say to use an exposed cable coming out the bottom. Only legal way I can think of would be to use something like a whip used for air conditioners.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems to be designed to be hard-wired, with just a cable entering a wiring compartment in the fixture.
No box needed, and probably most places would allow the cable to be NMB ("Romex") if the thing was
just bolted to an exterior wall. I wonder what
the heck "Wet Location Available" is supposed to mean? Seems to me just about 100% of installations
would require a Suitable For Wet Locations rating.

Stuff

Reaction score
If you came through the back then NM might be OK. If from the bottom then UF as it would be exposed.

seandunn

Reaction score
Thank you, i think it will try that and just see what the inspector will say about it. thanks again guys!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What kind of inspector? If it is for a home sale, usually called home inspection for a real estate contract, these inspectors have no authority of any kind. They work for the home buyer to evaluate the conditions of the property. In the contract, it usually has an exit clause after a home inspection if there are too many concerns on the opinion of the home buyer. Some mortgage companies do want a copy of it.

If it is for new work and a permit was pulled, then there is concern. The inspector may want to see the specifications and the installation instructions and this fixture is not designed to be attached directly to an electrical box. It is obvious that it can just be screwed to a wall at the three anchor points and if it is fasten as the instructions call for there usually will not be a problem. One picture seems to show a wire coming out the back and under it there appears to be a knock out for a direct wire option. It appears the best way is a wall mount electrical juncture box (rate for outdoor use), then as stated above, run a whip from the bottom knock out to the light fixture. This is where an electrical inspector would be concerned with.

Here is a video but it doesn't show the actually wiring being done but an existing wire was used and was direct wired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks