Furnace ducts banging popping

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It is usually square or a rectangular ductwork that does the pop. If you know what section pops when air flow starts or as it expands from heating, screw to that section a piece of angle iron", aluminum would be fine.

shopping

zuren

Reaction score
It is usually square or a rectangular ductwork that does the pop. If you know what section pops when air flow starts or as it expands from heating, screw to that section a piece of angle iron", aluminum would be fine.

shopping

I'm curious about this idea. How does angle iron stop the banging? We do not have the "oil canning" from the ducts heating and cooling, rather our ducts are fastened tight to the floor stringers, so anyone walking above causing the floor to flex also causes the ducts to flex and bang.

I was going to try sticking a deadening material (like DynaMat - used to make sheet metal in cars quieter for general road noise and stereos) just to reduce the "gong show" boom that happens, but if angle iron helps, I'll try that too.

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The sections between the ribs or the entire side of the flat sheet metal is what moves. When the duct work heats up the sheet metal expands and it will pop out like blowing
up a balloon. Sometimes it is the air being pushed through the duct work. The angle metal attached to a section just stiffens it up so it cannot pop and act like a drum.

upload_2018-12-11_19-51-32.jpeg

MKS

Reaction score
Mine bang and clang too. Maybe a healthy dose of seam sealer to add weight would help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks