How do they know GPM?

Users who are viewing this thread

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends on the specifics of what you got. In my area we are primarily drilling bedrock wells with rotary drill rigs. As we are drilling we are using air to lift the water and debris out of the hole. At any point we can measure how much water is being blown out. This is called 'Air lift' on a drilling report. It is less accurate than pump testing, but close enough for most purposes.

If we have to sleeve the well or hydrofack it the air lift number becomes useless.

For a pump test we typically put the largest pump we think the well can handle in on aluminum pipe and throttle it to determine yield at various depths.

We can measure the water level with a sonic measure or by installing in air line along side the pump.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually on the drill rig, it an eyeball estimate. If the driller has a good diverter head on the casing they can time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

500 gpm

1000 gpm

2000 gpm

Attachments

• 67D344BB-9FA6-445B-A5C9-ED3158B8D42A.jpeg
    67D344BB-9FA6-445B-A5C9-ED3158B8D42A.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 3D0EF84A-BE7F-48CA-825A-7087DAB45F9F.jpeg
    3D0EF84A-BE7F-48CA-825A-7087DAB45F9F.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 0F8D7C85-DD3E-41B3-80BB-E892B770B9C7.jpeg
    0F8D7C85-DD3E-41B3-80BB-E892B770B9C7.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 170

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's cool! What kind of connections do they use?

I put steel couplings a nipples on mine so I don't wear out the aluminum pipes wrenching on them all the time.

The hydrofracker I work with has gone to double gasket-ed threaded connectors. He has two beautifully set up rigs that solely do fracking as a single contained unit. With the current set ups he can hit three wells a day per rig at higher pressures and volumes than anyone else.

The connectors he's using have a deep taper like drill strings and seal with gaskets. For the most part he can thread and un-thread them by hand. I keep thinking about going to those, the concern is if you put a three phase pump on it and it runs the wrong way you could un-thread them fairly easily. If I go that route I might add same type of safety.

I've yet to spend much thought on it as just going to aluminum was such a quality of life improvement, if I hit a point where I'm going to replace the steel tips I'll look deeper into it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks