11 1/8" rough in- what are my Toto options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Veronika KD

Reaction score
Hello, we have 11 1/8" rough in, I would like to ask if the Toto Drake ECO is my only option or whether other models would work? We are in California, so there are water consumption restrictions.
Current toilet is an old Kohler and it has 1' of space behind the water tank.
thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think there will be other options along the lines you are thinking, but let me add another option: I put in a Vespin II with about a 13 inch or so rough, but I was able to place it right where I wanted by making my own new closet bolt holes in the Unifit. I could have done a similar thing with an 11 1/8" rough in.

This would apply to any of the Toto Unifit skirted toilets. The Vespin is the last expensive of those, but there aree are more expensive units that may appeal to you better. If you want links to photos of my modifications, let me know.

Some standard cheaper options may fit just fine with no drilling needed. The standard toilet can often be offset a fair amount on the flange by taking advantage of the clearances/slop. So a 12 inch toilet that has a nominal 3/4 (such as Utramax II) expected gap can probably fit. There are several of those. The tilt of the wall vs the floor can play a part when you are pushing the limits. Shimming the back of the toilet up a tad could create more tank clearance.

What would your ideal be?

Veronika KD

Reaction score
the UltraMax would definitely be my top choice, or the Drake II. I also want to say Thank you to everyone populating this forum with information, you guys know more about Toto toilets than Toto technical experts, as I discovered when i called them earlier today.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any of the Totos or others that are designed for a 10" rough-in would fit but with a bit larger gap behind them.

You can usually fudge the position of the toilet on the flange by about 1/4", maybe a slight bit more, so one with a normal 3/4" gap behind probably could be made to fit without modification. the outlet of the toilet is slightly over 2" on average...the minimum opening in the toilet flange is 3" unless you're unlucky and have an internal fitted 3" flange (not recommended), so that gives you about 1/4" slop to account for the thickness of the toilet horn, and maybe a bit more. the bolt holes in the toilet and the flange allow things to shift slightly. Normally, you'd center the toilet on the flange, but it will work if it's slightly off and still seal.

Veronika KD

Reaction score
I ended up getting a 12” Drake, it was really tight due to the trim we have but it did fit. Now i need to figure out how to make the tank not leak, there is a slight drip from where the bolts are.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Check to make sure the inside of the tank is smooth,
Place a rubber washer on the bolt and drop it through, and then place a washer and nut on the bottom of the tank and snug it up.
Place the foam washer on the bottom of the tank, then set the tank on the bowl, place washers and nuts and now snug the tank to the bowl.

drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

st743st-inside-tank-1.jpg

drake-tank-inside.jpg

Last edited:

Veronika KD

Reaction score
thank you terry, we followed your video yesterday, much better than the supplied user manual. Maybe I need to go back and sand it a little more.

Reach4

Reaction score
When checking for tight-enough on the tank bolts, you want a tiny clearance when you rock the tank away from the contact point that you are checking. A piece of paper or business card is enough. There are 3 contact points. If they all touch at the same time, you are in danger of breaking the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks