4"x3" closet elbow too low on remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Inov8

Reaction score
I have a 50 year old house. 3" copper was used for drain and venting of toilet. I've opened up the subfloor and cut back the 3" copper. I'll be using a Fernco coupling to connect the copper to 3" PVC.

So onto where I'm stuck. Option A) I'd like to just run the 3" to a 4"x3" closet elbow and add my new subfloor on top, tile and install my 4x3 flange. Nope. The 4x3 closet elbow is too low which means my 4x3 flange will be below my tile. I've still got to add 3/4" subfloor over the planks and then tile on top. I've read on flange extensions but I'd like to do this right the first time. Nothing against the extensions. Is there an 4x3 flange with an extra long tail? Not in the big box stores. I'll call Ferguson tomorrow I guess.

This is a pic of the 4x3 closet elbow too low.
IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG
IMG_8393.JPG IMG_8392.JPG

Option B) One way I think I can solve this is with a 4x3 reducer connecting my 3" schedule 40 then a 4" 90º street elbow with a 4" spigot flange. see pic. I do want an inside flange.
IMG_8397.JPG

Now I've read somewhere on here that someone used a 4x3 closet elbow with a 4" riser. But a 4" pipe doesn't fit in the 4" closet end so not sure what they meant/how that worked.

Thoughts on Option A or Option B? Any issues with Option B? Any performance loss? ie. prone to clogging.

Thanks,
RJ

Reach4

Reaction score
The 4x3 closet elbow is too low which means my 4x3 flange will be below my tile. I've still got to add 3/4" subfloor over the planks and then tile ontop.
So you are short by 2 inches if you use the 4x3 closet flange?

There are flanges that can cover that distance no problem. Matco-Norca CFCI-440 is a cast iron compression toilet flange with a long tail, but there are glue-in and more.

Or as plumber1 says, you could extend the 4x4 closet flange with a coupling and a piece of pipe. Then use an inside 4 inch flange.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or as plumber1 says, you could extend the 4x4 closet flange with a coupling and a piece of pipe. Then use an inside 4 inch flange.

Not what I said but that would work too. I suggested buying the right fitting. The 4" portion of that closet bend is a spigot, the same OD as 4" pipe. They make the same fitting which is hub x hub.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not what I said but that would work too. I suggested buying the right fitting. The 4" portion of that closet bend is a spigot, the same OD as 4" pipe. They make the same fitting which is hub x hub.
elbows-c48072clhd43-64_145.jpg
elbows-c4807clhd43-64_145.jpg

Last edited:

Inov8

Reaction score
What you have is a 4x3 spigot bend. You need a 4x3 hub bend with a piece of 4" stubbed up through the floor.
Thanks. It seems obvious but when you goto a big box and they don’t have that part you think I’m nucking futs, am I over thinking this... apparently I was. Ugh. Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a pictures with dimensions.
index.php
img_3.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks