Washer makes shower smell?

Users who are viewing this thread

NickB2005

Reaction score
DB00C780-2895-499F-B9BC-D0077FE47126.jpeg
91D152C3-281B-44ED-BF62-38F442F249A4.jpeg
EBCA80BB-0089-481A-B292-7DF10679963C.jpeg

Hi all, so we had a shower added downstairs about a year ago when we redid our basement level. Added a shower about 7 months ago. About 4-5 months ago when we ran the washer which is in the next room whenever it finished the shower would legit smell like rotten eggs. My contractor who installed it took a look And had his plumber come out a new one not the one he used on the job originally. That piping stack has the washer running off it, the shower, and then upstairs the sink and dishwasher. I've had it snaked 2 times and they've said no issues. I am guessing it has something to do with the shower drain maybe? Also, they dug under concrete to get the pipes in. See picture of before where they dug and after.

Edit: I forgot to note that if I literally pour water down the shower drain just a very little and then run the washer there is absolutely no smell at all which is stumping everyone. So, that is what we've been doing the last 4-5 months to avoid the smell. Another side note, within the last week or so now when the washer discharges water backs up in to the shower. All toilets and everything seem fine though.

I have contacted the company that snaked it before but it’s thw weekend and haven’t heard back.

Reach4

Reaction score
You did not show the shower trap and whatever vents the shower trap.

NickB2005

Reaction score
You did not show the shower trap and whatever vents the shower trap.

That's part of the issue. I can't see any of that /don't know if it is there. All that I showed is all that I can see. I do not see a vent anywhere going outside except for the fan in the bathroom.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That's part of the issue. I can't see any of that /don't know if it is there. All that I showed is all that I can see. I do not see a vent anywhere going outside except for the fan in the bathroom.
Trap is there, because otherwise refilling with a glass of water would not have helped.

How long between uses of that shower? Maybe the trap just dried up.

Is that shower on the same floor as your first picture or on the one above.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We cannot see how the shower is drained or vented, so we cannot say for sure what is causing the problem.

NickB2005

Reaction score
Trap is there, because otherwise refilling with a glass of water would not have helped.

How long between uses of that shower? Maybe the trap just dried up.

Is that shower on the same floor as your first picture or on the one above.

The shower is barely used. Maybe 4-5 times in a year. We use our upstairs one instead, but I run wash at least once or twice per week so I run the shower 2-4 mins before running the wash so it's definitely being turned on.

Yes, that opening in the wall is where the shower actually is. So there's the bathroom then next door the laundry room.

Reach4

Reaction score
The shower is barely used. Maybe 4-5 times in a year.
You could cover that drain between uses if you don't want to bother to put water into that shower drain periodically.

muzitao.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NickB2005

Reaction score
You could cover that drain between uses if you don't want to bother to put water into that shower drain periodically.

Where would I get some things this? Lowe's or the depot? Would it stop water coming back up into the shower from the washer? That is a relatively new issue...it was mostly always the smell. This water coming back up then going back down after washer discharge is like 1.5 weeks old. I have a video of it happening but can't seem to post it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The washer is backing up into the shower because there is a partial clog or a belly in the drain line downstream of those fixtures.

NickB2005

Reaction score
The washer is backing up into the shower because there is a partial clog or a belly in the drain line downstream of those fixtures.

So, obviously I need it snaked right? Maybe from the shower drain if they can. Thanks for all your help everyone. I just remodeled everything and of course now having issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe, but the blockage would be downstream of both the washer and the shower.

Do you have septic? Is that shower your lowest drain?

NickB2005

Reaction score
Maybe, but the blockage would be downstream of both the washer and the shower.

Do you have septic? Is that shower your lowest drain?

No septic it's town water/sewer. I think it would be the lowest drain there's really nothing else besides the toilet that's down there and the washer which goes into the same drain the shower goes into.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not follow your paths, but you have some cleanouts. The one next to the wall near the WM standpipe may be the best, although the block could be out in the yard. In that case, if you have no big cleanout, you could pull the toilet and have the drain cleaner snake through there. That is going to be a 3 inch path or bigger. How about that cleanout down in the crevice by the gas pipe? Is that big? That would be good, tho it looks less accessible.

Is the shower drain affected by flushing a toilet? Of course a WM puts out many gallons compared to a couple of flushes.

NickB2005

Reaction score
I did not follow your paths, but you have some cleanouts. The one next to the wall near the WM standpipe may be the best, although the block could be out in the yard. In that case, if you have no big cleanout, you could pull the toilet and have the drain cleaner snake through there. That is going to be a 3 inch path or bigger.

Is the shower drain affected by flushing a toilet? Of course a WM puts out many gallons compared to a couple of flushes.

So, when we moved in 8/2016 we had it snaked from that toilet as a preventive since we just moved in. Nothing found all good. Second time it was snaked w as Thanksgiving 2017 as construction in the basement just started and when we ran our sink upstairs water flowed out that pipe in picture 1 right below that dryer vent. Snaked from where it says neutrilizer follow that straight across to the right and that little square knob is where they went in. Still nothing but it fixed the water coming out....construction went on. Wherr the water came out once the shower was installed that's no longer there and is now on the left side and the washer discharge goes into it.

Nope, toilet has no issue, no back up. Running dishwasher and sink upstairs too and nothing as they all go into the same pipe. It's only the washer.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Has any one suggested water jetting the shower line?

Build up soap scum and lack use allows for bacteria to grow on the walls of the piping especially on the top and snaking is totally useless

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks