2nd Opinion Needed For Gas Line Pressure Test

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
So, thanks to the help of everyone here my project has slowly been moving forward.

The information I am getting from my local inspector seems to conflict with advice I have read here.

I need to test a newly installed gas supply line to my tankless water heater for leaks. The inspector confirmed 15 PSI held for 10 minutes. He is asking for the test to be done with the shutoff valve for the heater INSTALLED but open and capped off. His reasoning is that this will test most of the joints / connections leading up to the appliance. From what I read from Terry and others the shutoff valve is normally left out for the initial leak test and then installed later (perhaps to avoid damage to the valve).

I know in most cases what the inspector wants, the inspector gets. I don’t want to end up damaging the valve. Any reason to be concerned?

For those wondering, it is a Legend 3/4” gas valve. “5G” is marked on the housing.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The shutoff valve should handle that pressure...the internals of the tankless will not.

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I knew the appliance itself would not be connected during the test I was just unsure if the manual shutoff valve serving that appliance would be able to handle the pressure even if the valve was in the open position and capped / plugged. According to jadnashua it sounds like it can. Thanks to the both of you for clearing this up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks