Rear discharge rough in for replacement toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jambo

Reaction score
I currently have a rear discharge Gerber Maxwell with a rough in spec of 4 1/4 “. Can I swap in an American Standard Yorkville that has a rough in spec of 4” ? Or do I have to find replacement toilet with 4 1/4” to match the Gerber ?

How important is the 1/4 inch difference in terms of install?

If the Gerber is sitting on tile would I have to cut the tile around the American standard to drop it down to the concrete to match the flange?

Thanks

Jambo

Reaction score
image.jpg
There is plenty of leeway on the Gerber bowl. The outlet is about 2" going into a 3" pipe.

Thanks for the info. We bought the condo and it had the Maxwell already installed. I uploaded a photo. As you can see we had a flange leak and so I tore out the drywall and have fans drying the area. The flush is weak and the bowl is shallow near the front which is awkward when sitting down. I am hoping that the Yorkville will remedy these two shortcomings. I’m not super familiar with the Yorkville other than reviews I’ve read online.
Is the Yorkville bowl shape deeper in the front than the Maxwell? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Jambo

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. The Barrington looks deeper in the forward part of the bowl.
Is the Barrington flush quieter than the Yorkville?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks