Moving shower drain rough in over 3/4 - 1" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmaclicious

Reaction score
Curious, I had to rip out an older shower pan due to it cracking around the drain and I will be replacing it with a heavy duty 175 lb cast iron kohler pan... however the rough in on this new pan drain is 3/4 to 1" to the right of my current position... is it possible I could just lean it that way into the new shower pan so i dont have to jack hammer concrete and dig it out in order to do this? Or should I cut down the pipe a bit and add a fernco fitting for more pliability? I could pull it the 1" and put a block to hold it in place. The pictures are the current position, the 2nd pic is where I need it to be when i pull on the pipe.

Drain is ABS pipe.

Attachments

• showerpan1.jpg
    showerpan1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 150
  • showerpan2.jpg
    showerpan2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Absolutely not! For the drain to seal properly, it needs to come up vertical. I know it's tempting, but especially with a 175 pound cast shower pan, you do not want anything going wrong with the installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks