What tub spout pipe/adapter is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenK

Reaction score
ok, it's been a few days - while waiting for the new spout to arrive I decided to redo the caulk and fix some grout - only that took WAY longer than I thought (removing the old layers and layers of caulk!)

I had the hardware store cut the nipple for me, they have a pipe cutter and it came out smooth. So I bought a brass 1/2" nipple and there is 2 1/2" sticking out of the wall. I used plumbers tape on the threads and ran the water a bit to make sure it wasn't leaking in the back (stuck some tissue back there to make sure nothing was getting wet). So that's all good. Or so I thought.

I got the spout (KOHLER K-10589-BN Bancroft Wall-Mount Diverter Bath Spout) and tried to "slip" it on the nipple. However the nipple is much wider than the opening on the spout!

Are 1/2" brass nipples wider than 1/2" copper ? Everywhere I read seemed to indicate the slip-on style spouts would slip on to 1/2" nipple. But this one obviously does not. So now I am back to being confused, not sure what to do!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are 1/2" brass nipples wider than 1/2" copper ? Everywhere I read seemed to indicate the slip-on style spouts would slip on to 1/2" nipple. But this one obviously does not. So now I am back to being confused, not sure what to do!
Yes. A 1/2 inch nipple is 0.840 OD, and a copper pipe without adapter is 0.625 OD.

For that spout you would solder a 1/2 in. Copper C x MPT Adapter adapter
couplings-adaptors-c604hd12-64_145.jpg
to a piece of copper pipe and cut that to length. You want 2-7/8 inch of pipe sticking out of the wall, give or take.

https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-10589_spec.pdf

That Delta under discussion would have worked with a nipple, but the spout you bought uses a different system.

Last edited:

KarenK

Reaction score
I guess I will send this spout back. (I do not want to solder and don't have the tools to do so).
I guess I mis-read this thread I was under the impression that I could get a brass nipple with a slip-on spout!
(I never would have thought that bathtub plumbing is so complicated to figure out what things fit on what. Seriously! I have never had this much trouble with any DIY project and I've done a lot - including plumbing repairs such as replacing shower cartridges/handles/sinks/faucets/pipes/disposals lines etc)

So, anyway, sounds like :
1) I cannot use a slip on spout because the 1/2" brass nipple will be too wide for any of them (looks like all use 1/2 copper which I would need an adapter and soldering to accomplish (instead of nipple))
2) I need to get a threaded spout
3) I could get a Delta one with the adapter and that would work with the 1/2" brass nipple (but since I am picky I haven't seen a delta spout I like the look of that will fit)

Will update again in a week or so when new spout arrives

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess I will send this spout back. (I do not want to solder and don't have the tools to do so).
You have a few neighbors that would be glad to solder one piece of copper pipe to one adapter.

Your hardware store might even do it for you.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Threaded pipe needs to be thicker so that, after threads are cut on it, it is still strong while maintaining the desired internal diameter.

Push on spouts are designed to slide over copper pipe, which is thinner (1/2" pipe is 5/8" OD). Sorry if you got mislead.

KarenK

Reaction score
Yay - new spout installed as well as new handle and plate (had to send it back twice before I got one that wasn't dented or scratched!)
yes the Kohler was a bit tricky to line up with the wall, but a few tries and a lot of muscle (for me anyway!) to screw it on, now it fits nice.
Still have to caulk around both.

Thanks for all the help!

20181128_170527.jpg

Attachments

• 20181128_170527.jpg
    20181128_170527.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 180

Dom Toulon

Reaction score
Hey There.. I have a similar situation and am having a tough time finding this exact replacement Brass colored Tub Spout on amazon since they never show you a picture of the backside showing also the necessary Plastic Threaded Insert I need; since I also have a Brass Threaded Adapter. Please see the attached.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.. ;D

Attachments

• Brass Threaded Adapter.jpg
    Brass Threaded Adapter.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 118
  • BrassTub Spout.jpg
    BrassTub Spout.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 124
  • BrassTub Spout Plastic Threaded Insert.jpg
    BrassTub Spout Plastic Threaded Insert.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 116

Reach4

Reaction score
also have a Brass Threaded Adapter. Please see the attached.
My RP12307 tub spout adapter measures 1.80" in length and 1.12" in diameter -- close to your numbers. So if that is what you have, good deal. That faucet that Terry suggested is great, but you may have to instruct showering guests to push the ring down to shower..

It uses the Delta RP12307 adapter. The o-ring on mine has a round cross-section, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks