Does this look OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Foley

Reaction score
I am a new guy here so I am not sure if this is the correct section but I'll give it a shot. I have an older house and we want to add a small powder room. Small sink and toilet only. The dimensions we have to work with are about 65" by 38" which seems to be Okay given what we are trying to accomplish.

The questions I have are these:

Would it be OK to tie into the existing 3" copper vent stack in the attic space? Currently that vent serves a tub/shower, sink and toilet (1.3 gal flush)

If I run the new 2" PVC up to the attic and tie into existing vent, is 2" OK for the proposed configuration?

If I can not tie into the existing vent, I would add a new roof penetration. Not my first choice but not a deal stopper.

Is the sink drain at 2", and being used as a wet went for the toilet (about 4 ft away) OK?

Is there any issue transitioning from 2" sink drain/wet vent to 3" at a double sanitary TEE?

Maybe the Number 1 question: Is it Ok to tie into the existing CI discharge line (4") by removing the clean out and putting in hex bushing so I can screw in a male PVC threaded adapter? I am thinking for the few bucks a sked 80 costs, it might add some strength?

My proposal uses sked 40 piping and fittings. I have info for the right slope of pipes etc. so should not be an issue

I am hopin the attached sketch is readable. All the plumbing is in the basement and very accessible. Just got to work around the existing bath drain pipes.

Any input would be appreciated.

By the by, I have not yet put a wrench to the cleanout plug. I have started applying penetrating oil every few days. I am guessing it has not moved since the house was built in 1968.

One last thought just occurred to me. Instead of a long sweep elbow down from the sink, would that be a better choice to use a wye so a cleanout could be added on the far left (in my sketch). Looking at my sketch, that might be good idea?
drain.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks