Plumber drilled holes & notched studs too big. HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mist

Reaction score
Hi, I'm remodeling my washroom and hired a plumber to moved the toilet to a new location (about 4 ft away). He drilled through the studs of the wall to install the new vent pipe to connect it with the old pipe. I asked him if what he did is safe as this wall will be supporting the kitchen cabinets behind it. He insists that is is perfectly fine and it will not fall. I don't think that the wall will be able to support the full weight of the cabinets. The wall is 9 ft long and will bear the weight of upper and lower cabinets. What can I do? I've asked him to reinforce the studs with some stud shoes but he doesn't want to. Do I have any recourse? Please help.

He also drilled through the floor joust to connect the new drain pipe to where the old toilet used to be.

Attachments

• IMG_6687.JPG
    IMG_6687.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_6688.JPG
    IMG_6688.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_6690.JPG
    IMG_6690.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_6693.JPG
    IMG_6693.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 3,296
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are quite a few plumbing jobs with 2-9/16" holes drilled. You can install the stud shoes if you want to. There are plenty of walls like that without.
Floor joists can have holes 1/3 of the joist depth leaving 2" on the top and the bottom.

Mist

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for the quick response. However, do you think that the wall will still be strong enough to support the kitchen upper cabinets attached to it? It just seems that the little bit of studs left will not be strong enough. I'm just afraid that the wall collapse or something once the cabinets are attached.

Mist

Reaction score
Sallyboy,
Can the stud shoe be install on one side of the stud or do both sides?

Reach4

Reaction score
Can the stud shoe be install on one side of the stud or do both sides?
Stud shoes are normally on one side.

To reinforce extra amounts, you could maybe sister some 2x6s or so along side sticking out into the unfinished area. Screw and glue for best strength. I am not a pro.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
This doesn't appear to be a structural studwall holding up the house (is it?). It looks like an uninsulated studwall next to a foundation only installed to provide a finished wall. The lack of insulation could be an issue worth addressing (strongly advised in a location as cool as Alberta in winter), but that's separate from the structural capacity issue.

If it's just needs to hold up cabinets and some drywall it's nothing to be concerned about, unless you're packing the cabinets full of something very dense, such as gold bullion or spent nuclear fuel rods.

I'm not sure what's going on with this one:

index.php

Is that some sort of structural pillar? (If yes, yeah, it needs some help).

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hi, I'm remodeling my washroom and hired a plumber to moved the toilet to a new location (about 4 ft away). He drilled through the studs of the wall to install the new vent pipe to connect it with the old pipe. I asked him if what he did is safe as this wall will be supporting the kitchen cabinets behind it. He insists that is is perfectly fine and it will not fall. I don't think that the wall will be able to support the full weight of the cabinets. The wall is 9 ft long and will bear the weight of upper and lower cabinets. What can I do? I've asked him to reinforce the studs with some stud shoes but he doesn't want to. Do I have any recourse? Please help.

He also drilled through the floor joust to connect the new drain pipe to where the old toilet used to be.

If he pulled a permit, the inspector will have something to say...

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks