CSV operation with large volume or small volume tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

DenPVCO

Reaction score
Hello. I’m about to change my leaking pressure tank and a very old Gould’s shallow well pump. CSV seems like a fine solution to the current pressure fluctuations in my home. I do have a question regarding the time pump will stay under CSV with large vs small tank. In other words, would it make more sense to get as large of a pressure tank as possible with CSV to reduce the time pump is engaged or have a small 5 gallon tank? Main concern being the noise of pump as it is located below bedroom in the basement.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Running the pump with a CSV should make it a little more quite, but it will run for longer periods of time. Other than that there is no reason to use any larger tank with a CSV. See this chart.
Average Cycles Per Day.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Try putting pump noise cover into a search engine search.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
They way I understand CSVs, and correct me if I’m wrong Valveman, is that the pump won’t run until the initial drawdown of the tank is gone, then the pump will start but will not put any water into the tank. It’s only purpose is to supply water to the fixture in use. Once that fixture is closed, the pump will continue to run but it’s only purpose now is to replenish the drawdown of the tank. Once the tank drawdown is replenished, the pump shuts off. Is that correct Valveman?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yep! So all a larger pressure tank does is delay the time before the pump starts. But pressure tanks don't hold much water. Even a 40 gallon tank only holds 10 gallons of water, so all you get is an extra toilet flush or two before the pump comes on. Doesn't help much, and not worth the extra cost or space.

DenPVCO

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your replies! From what I understand, the larger tank will further reduce the cycling of the pump. I don’t quite understand the relationship between the CSV valve operation and noise from the pump as one has nothing to do with the other, i.e., the pump will produce noise with CSV or without. From the chart posted by Valveman, I do see the advantages of having the largest possible tank as far as the cycling is concerned (reduction of cycles). If my understanding is correct, the less the pump cycles and stays on the less energy is being consumed.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah but there is a point where reducing the cycling even more won't make any difference. From the chart, a 20 gallon tank without a CSV will cycle the pump 35 times per day, while a 4.5 gallon tank with a CSV only cycles 31 times per day. Using the CSV with the 20 gallon tank only reduces the cycles to 18 times per day. Not enough difference between 18 and 31 cycles to justify the added expense for the larger tank. But again it won't hurt anything but your pocketbook and take up more space to use a larger tank. Also remember the larger the tank the longer you will see the pressure decrease before the pump comes on and the CSV starts delivering strong constant pressure.

If you had ask me 25 years ago I would have said to use the largest tank you can get through the door. But after 25 years of Cycle Stop Valves I can assure you large pressure tanks are nothing but a waste of money.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Hey DenPVCO, I was about to install a 20 gal tank in the normal fashion when I ran across this forum. The people here, especially valveman, convinced me to go the CSV route. I sent the 20 gal tank and all the fittings, and ordered a PK1A kit. Can hardly wait for it to arrive so I can get started.

DenPVCO

Reaction score
Hey DenPVCO, I was about to install a 20 gal tank in the normal fashion when I ran across this forum. The people here, especially valveman, convinced me to go the CSV route. I sent the 20 gal tank and all the fittings, and ordered a PK1A kit. Can hardly wait for it to arrive so I can get started.
Hello Banjo bud. Let me know how it will workout for you. The install seems fairly straightforward.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks