Wet Venting confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
We are in a odd situation, we are under IPC 2015 and the inspector is not signing off on our design

The system is designed like this

4" sanitary line out < 4x4x3 Combination Wye-1/8 bend < toilet

3" common drain (horizontal wet vent for toilet) that serves 2 sinks, washer, and a shower

the sinks, washer and shower all dry vent out of the common stack

only the toilet is wet vented through the 3" drain/vent, our MEP engineer says its good, our Code guy says its good, QA says its good, but the inspector does not agree

Thoughts?

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
its very similar to this:
wet_vent_upc_master.jpg

except instead there is no floor drain and the bathtub is a washing machine drain and the leg from the toilet to the main line is 4" and the entire common drain and vent stack are 3"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer is doing it to you. That needs to wye in downstream of the toilet if you want to wet vent the toilet by the lavs and shower.
The washer isn't considered part of the the bathroom group for wet venting.

Or you can add a vent for the toilet.

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I appreciate it, Definitely going to vent the washer downstream of the toilet, that will be much easier to rework

just in case, I have read that part of the IPC like 30 times, where would it say that about the washer?

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
Section 909 on wet venting for bathroom groups.
https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Puerto_Rico/English_Codes/IPC English/PDFs/Chapter 9.pdf

The washer isn't part of that. It's a pumped fixture.

The inspector also might not like the unwashed 3" near the lav. Is there a cleanout there?

so another thing I just realized, the sink on the far side of that wet wall is for a kitchen, so that means I need to move it out of the wet vent line for the toilet correct?

what do you mean by unwashed 3"?

we hadnt installed any cleanouts as we were relying on the washer drain as the "removable fixture" to snake through

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
Can you wet vent the clothes washing machine through the non-bathroom sink on the other side of the wet wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can you wet vent the clothes washing machine through the non-bathroom sink on the other side of the wet wall?

Wet venting is allowed for bathroom groups on the same floor.
The non bathroom sink needs a vent, and the washer needs a vent. Those can tie in downstream of a bathroom that uses wet venting.
Or, vent everything.

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
Wet venting is allowed for bathroom groups on the same floor.
The non bathroom sink needs a vent, and the washer needs a vent. Those can tie in downstream of a bathroom that uses wet venting.
Or, vent everything.

ok thank you

Spoolofpipe

Reaction score
connecting the shower to the 3" vertical vent would correct the "unwashed" 3" section.

thanks

I ended up moving the washer and kitchen sink over to an independent drain and put the lav sink in the 3" vertical vent, so the bathroom (WC, shower and lav) are on a wet vent circuit

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks