Water Hammer from Upstairs Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

TravisJJ

Reaction score
After my upstairs toilet is flushed and the bowl fully refills, it sounds like a water hammer.

Here's a video of the noise. At 4 seconds, when the bowl has refilled, you hear the noise:

Please note I've been in this house for years, no work was recently done to this toilet or any plumbing in my home recently, and have never had this issue before with this or any toilet.

What can be done to correct this? Someone mentioned to me to buy a water hammer arrestor.

Thank you for the help!

TravisJJ

Reaction score
buy a new fill valve. And, check your house water pressure. With normal pressure the toilet would NOT fill that quickly.

@hj, I cut off the beginning of the video. The toilet takes about 30 seconds to fill. Is your "buy a new fill valve" because you thought the toilet took 4 seconds to fill? Also, I have reduced the water pressure to the toilet greatly and it still makes the same noise. Thanks!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How did you reduce the water pressure? I assume you partially closed the supply valve to the toilet? That will reduce the volume of water but not the pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Partially closing the supply valve, because it limits the volume, not the pressure, means that there's less water to create the hammer, but it doesn't reduce the pressure at all.

Two things, as HJ said, check your incoming pressure. If it's over 80psi, code calls for reducing it to at least that or below.

Some toilet fill valves close quite abruptly, and that type of valve can cause a water hammer. Korky QuietFill valves tend to close less abruptly, and tend to be quieter. Another thing you can try is to install a water hammer arrestor. They're not very expensive, and if you pick the right one, you may not need more than a pair of wrenches and a few minutes to install one at the shutoff on the wall.

TravisJJ

Reaction score
Thank you for the help, everyone. I checked my water pressure and it was fine. I then purchased and installed a new fill valve, and the noise completely stopped!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks