This vertical pipe spills water out when draining the sink or flushing the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

David Payne

Reaction score
Here's some photos:
dYhkdJZ.jpg

R7ex0BO.jpg

Can I put a cap on it or will that burst a pipe? What is this for?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
There, that should fix it.
Nope. Now it is pointing to a place on your own computer.

The first way would have worked probably if you could figure out how to make the folder public. Can't help you with that.

If you get the an acceptable size, you could upload them. On a new post, just click the Upload button. You might have to scroll down to see it. If editing an existing post, click "More Options..." first.
Uploaded photos 800 pixels max, 200kB max.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is that area? Your cellar? A cesspit?

Where does the output of the pump go?

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
use the piece of pipe as a cleanout. Obviously, when you run water, if it's running up and out of this pipe, the sink and toilet SHARE the pipe. We also know that there is an obstruction down-stream. Otherwise water wouldn't back up and dump. Use a rubber cap to seal the pipe. But before you do that, run a sewer machine through there and clear your obstruction

David Payne

Reaction score
The sink also gurgles when I flush the toilet but the water that comes out of this pipe is definitely not sewage. And what do you mean by sewer machine?

MKS

Reaction score
Plumbing is complicated.
It runs downhill.
You may have a clean out with the top broken off to a clogged drain line. Septic or municipal

Reach4

Reaction score
It's in the basement and the water just kinda flows out the top of it when I flush the toilet.
Where should the water from a toilet flush go? Septic tank, sewer, or what? Ahhh MKS asked that first.

MKS

Reaction score
Glad it's running downhill now. I have not had to clean up this kind of mess. But am certain I would prefer a large excavator and dump trucks. I suspect there is a less invasive and probably chemical manner to solve the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks