Please help water results - softener quotes

Users who are viewing this thread

bmwr69s

Reaction score
House brand new in 8/2018 with new well; 4000 sq ft; Two adults and 4-yr old.

Water test results from National Testing Labs (attached) – issues noted:

calcium 34.5

iron 0.189

Lithium 0.016

Magnesium 8.92

Manganese 0.005

Potassium 6.7

Silica 13.6

Sodium 4

Strontium 0.359

Zinc 0.030

Alkalinity (Total as CaCO3) 130

hardness 120

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 160

Turbidity 0.5

Sulfate 8.7

Here is what I have been quoted thus far:

A. Water Right Impression series softener & valve, metered and microprocessed, size 10” x 44” (38K grain; $1821 softener plus $200 sediment filter (4 x 10, 25 micron string polypropolene).

If odor is present (hydrogen sulfide) we will install a chlorine injection system; 18x30 inch solution tank, municipal water meter and pump. This system will inject a precise amount of chlorine solution (usually 1 to 2 ppm) into your water as you use it. Again only if you have odor or develop odor in your water. Installed $1,385.00.

B. Fleck 2510 valve & 2 cubic feet softener; 48K grain; an inline American plumber filter to help the sediment and the turbidity of the water before entering the Softener. All parts and labor $2000.

It seems like the minerals are high and the fact that there was sodium found is weird. The sediment was high and the turbidity was high.

/////////

My questions are:

1. Given my water test results what do I need (softener only or filter as well) and what size?

2. Is one brand better than another – WaterRight vs Fleck?

3. Which quote seems like a better fit and value?

4. Quote B identified possible issues with other minerals, sodium, sediment and turbidity. Does that indicate he is a more knowledgeable installer?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Attachments

• Water test results 04 SEP 2018.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 159

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Just my opinion...

A simple iron reduction system. I would lean toward the 2510AIO version with Katalox light or similar media. Even clinoptilolite may be adequate. A softener would be a luxury, 50/50 as to wether or not you need it. Do you have a tankless water heater? If so then a softener would not be a bad choice.

Sodium of 4 is nothing at all. Levels as high as 500-1000 are typically ignored.
TDS 160, ignore level, not worth treating.
Calcium and magnesium levels are minimal.
Iron is at the level that it will likely annoy you.

I prefer the 2510 over the other brand, easier to get parts for, non proprietary.

bmwr69s

Reaction score
Just my opinion...

A simple iron reduction system. I would lean toward the 2510AIO version with Katalox light or similar media. Even clinoptilolite may be adequate. A softener would be a luxury, 50/50 as to wether or not you need it. Do you have a tankless water heater? If so then a softener would not be a bad choice.

Sodium of 4 is nothing at all. Levels as high as 500-1000 are typically ignored.
TDS 160, ignore level, not worth treating.
Calcium and magnesium levels are minimal.
Iron is at the level that it will likely annoy you.

I prefer the 2510 over the other brand, easier to get parts for, non proprietary.

////

Thanks for the review and advice. We do have a tankless propane-fired hot water heater.

So a softener and sediment filter at a minimum.

Also, I now notice a rotten egg smell in the shower and assume it is from the hot water. What else is needed to address the smell?

Thanks

bmwr69s

Reaction score
Update to my initial post.

I do now smell the Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten-eggs) with hot and cold water.

I do have a tankless hot water heater.

A few questions:

1. Why would the iron level annoy me? Staining or does it also contribute to Hydrogen Sulfide?

2. Will the Fleck 2510AIO iron filter with katalox light, which is supposedly an efficient and cost effective system for removing iron, sulfur and manganese, remove or lessen the rotten-egg smell?

thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Katalox light with AIO will reduce the H2S smell, but it is not always 100%. You can always add H2o2 injection later if you want to enhance the reduction.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Why would the iron level annoy me? Staining or does it also contribute to Hydrogen Sulfide?
Some people don't like the taste of iron for drinking water. Others have no problem with the taste.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks