Shower flowing when valve "off". Blasting when valve "on"

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCjstar

Reaction score
I moved into a house (in New York on hard well water that is really hard on the copper and brass - scale deposits and possibly corrosion). The shower has two shower heads, and 4 body jets. One body jet was dripping a bit: I replaced the Grohe 1/4 turn 3/4" cartridge, and it's fixed (the old valve looked scaly and green). One shower head won't turn off (It has been capped since we moved in). I replaced the grohe cartridge at the handle/valve again expecting to fix it. Now (as before the cartridge was changed), with handle in "off" position, water flows medium-strong. With handle in "on" position, water blasts out like crazy. I could try another cartridge - perhaps this one is defective - but I feel there could be something else going on, since the previous owner couldn't seem to fix it either. I don't want to rip out the tiles on the wall! Any suggestions appreciated.

NYCjstar

Reaction score
This is a pic of the new cartridge that I put in. Everything is inside the wall, so I can't get an image of it. The old cartridge also looks like this, except the part that was inside/exposed to the water is green (and a little pocky with scale).

Attachments

• GRO-45888000-2.jpg
    GRO-45888000-2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 122

NYCjstar

Reaction score
Turns out it was a defective cartridge/valve that I had purchased (new)! I tried a (second) new one, and when I took the first replacement out, I saw a plastic part of the cartridge had cracked. The new new one worked fine, and all good now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks