Dish washer & kitchen sink shouldn’t run together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
A71102F9-FB79-4C6D-933E-CF1D6362B3B5.jpeg

I used the dishwasher for first time and while it was running, I wanted to hand wash a bigger pot in the kitchen sink but when I turned the water on, the water kinda clogged for few mins and now water went down but I see lots of black dirt pieces in the sink. I can not use the kitchen sink while running the dishwasher on?

Attachments

• 6EF03611-EFF0-4670-A8CD-4CFB05FD22ED.jpeg
    6EF03611-EFF0-4670-A8CD-4CFB05FD22ED.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 159
  • C195EC99-4E72-4ADB-ABB0-538DCF9331BB.jpeg
    C195EC99-4E72-4ADB-ABB0-538DCF9331BB.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
Water filling up when’s dish washing in the sink as using u can see. I didn’t have this problem before. I would occasionally hear something like bolo bolo blo and when I go check the sink I see the dish soap foam come up a little bit but not the problem I seee today as water fills up on one sink while I wash dish in the right sink.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 185

Questions1

Reaction score
The kitchen sink will need snaking, or at the least, check the p-trap under the sink.
I am completely new to these so I don’t understand! I didn’t have such clogging problem in kitchen sink before. I would occasionally hear bubble noise while I am doing something and when I check I would see the dish foam come out a little bit on the sink drainer . Today for first time while leaving the dish washer running on and also hand washing some dish in the sink, I see the sink clogging with water in the sink filling up on the left part of the sink while I hand wash something on right side of the sink . This is new

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The dishwasher drains into the kitchen sink.
Either a connection in the wall, through the disposer, or near the disposer under the sink. If the sink is draining slowly, it will be even more affected when the water is being pumped from the dishwasher.

sink_dw.jpg

A typical installation where the dishwasher drains into the disposer through an air-gap fitting.

Questions1

Reaction score
The dishwasher drains into the kitchen sink.
Either a connection in the wall, through the disposer, or near the disposer under the sink. If the sink is draining slowly, it will be even more affected when the water is being pumped from the dishwasher.

sink_dw.jpg

A typical installation where the dishwasher drains into the disposer through an air-gap fitting.
Thank you for the explanation but I don’t know how to fix this myself and I don’t know even what is snake or where to stick it. Should I call the plumber and explain the problem? I live in 2 bedroom condo building with 18 units. I would like a permanent solution or something that won’t happen frequently! Is it a lot of work for a plumber? That would indicate how much I would pay for service. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Look at the disposer to see what it piped into it and take a picture.
Also, how old is the disposer? They will have a date code on the serial number. An old disposer can allow too big of chips out which can produce a clog downstream.

Questions1

Reaction score
Dish washer stopped washing and drying now and I checked my sink and I see lots of water. It is not full and not filling up but it is not going down

Attachments

• 83DE0E60-38F8-4491-A50F-21B8EE38A142.jpeg
    83DE0E60-38F8-4491-A50F-21B8EE38A142.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 144

Questions1

Reaction score
Also, how old is the disposer? They will have a date code on the serial number. An old disposer can allow too big of chips out which can produce a clog downstream.
I don’t know what disposer is honestly or where it is I am dumb about these . I called the plumber that works for many condo associations and when he has time he comes he said he will try to come in the morning . Hope he can

Questions1

Reaction score

Attachments

• DC226469-5B2F-4961-9839-22B39A06C52C.jpeg
    DC226469-5B2F-4961-9839-22B39A06C52C.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 55E2839B-07C6-4EFA-8921-D4EDA9487C7D.jpeg
    55E2839B-07C6-4EFA-8921-D4EDA9487C7D.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 9F067EB5-0907-40E4-9045-675F4D61B002.jpeg
    9F067EB5-0907-40E4-9045-675F4D61B002.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 148

Questions1

Reaction score
plumber came. I explained that I used the dishwasher for the fist time since moving in here and that clogged my kitchen sink and water filled up my sink. I used to have very minor slow drainage in the sink for long time like soap foam coming out sometimes while hand washing dish but NOTHING like last night. He turned on the water for sometime and water wasn't going down. He said it is building's pipe problem and spoke with the association for me and covered the cost. He came in with long metal boxed and i could hear drilling something. I cleared out the bottom of the counter near the sink so he could work. Worked for like 40 mins maybe. going out of my room and coming in couple of times. He told me to keep an eye on the pipe and let him know if it leaks. H said he did " rodding" 45 feet down . I run the kitchen sink water and it is not clogging now. I haven't used the dish washer yet again to see if it would clog my kitchen sink. I will run the dishwasher now and see if it will mess up my kitchen sink again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks