$8000 to replace a pump- is that reasonable?

Users who are viewing this thread

msquared

Reaction score
Our irrigation well is not working. We were told it needs to be replaced (it's 12 years old). The well is ~800 feet deep.

The quote received is for just over $8K
If we need a new cable - add $3600
If we need a new drop pipe - add $1800

Is that really what these things cost to replace???

Thanks,
Mike

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not enough information for an intelligent answer.

The well I’m drilling now will take a 600 hp pump set 750 ft deep. Pump & panel will cost $400,000.

Just got home from clutching up a 150 hp pump set 500 ft deep. The pump itself is just over $80,000. The soft start panel, meter & electrical is another $18,500.

I’m guessing this is Probably closer to what you have; last month I replaced a 5 hp submersible set 900 ft deep. I had the initial service call. Then it took 3 hrs for a three man crew to demolish the pump house to be able to start pulling the pump. There had not been any provision made to pull the pump when the pump House was built. Pulled the pump 903 ft on galvanized pipe. Back flushed the well with 2500 gallons of chlorinated water. Videoed well to TD at 1187 ft. Furnished & installed a new 5 hp Grundfos Pump & motor, with a Lakos sub-K sand separator. New check valve. reused their existing galvanized drop pipe and wire. I did remove 8 check valves from the drop pipe as I reinstalled it. Total bill was just over $9,000.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks