Which plumber is wrong? Pipes on outside wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven81NJ

Reaction score
I hope I can get some feedback here as I am still confused which plumber is right.

We have a regular bi-level house in Northern NJ. Looking to renovate a bathroom and one of the ideas was to move our plumbing (faucets) of the shower on the outside wall. 4 different contractors came by and didn't see an issue until the 5th one swore on his life that if I put plumbing on the outside wall at some point they will freeze.

Who is right?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the climate and the insulation behind the plumbing. In the Seattle area, where it never really gets cold for long, pipes in outside walls will freeze. In those cases I suggest keeping cabinet doors open during a cold snap. Of course my kitchen is on an outside wall, so those doors stay open that week. Fixing frozen pipes in walls isn't my best idea of a fun day on the job.

Maybe it freezes and maybe not. Opening walls behind tile is interesting.

Steven81NJ

Reaction score
is it a 2x6 wall? is there foam board insulation under the siding outside? If no and all you have is a 2x4 wall don't do it.

Not sure how to explain this. See photo attached

main.jpg

MKS

Reaction score
If freezing is a concern adding a plumbing\false wall may be a solution.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Insulation CANNOT "prevent" freezing. All it can do is delay the process. Unless the faucet is used often enough to remove/replace the "chilled" water, it will eventually freeze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks