Backwater Valve Downstream Labels

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been trying off and on for years to find labels to permanently affix to cleanout bodies that are upstream of a backwater valve in order to fully satisfy the 2012 UPC code 710.1.. that inform a drain cleaner that they need to try and find and remove the flapper before sending their cable/jetter/camera down.

I could install a tag (probably by gluing) on the cleanout plug.. but that's only sort of permanent since that could be misplaced.

The shoulder of the cleanout body (measured on 2 separate cleanouts) where the plug threads into is 1/8" to 3/16th and the diameters vary by type (if you're using the style with a mechanical test plug / pass through insert Holdrite brand). If the cleanout is installed in a finished wall and only the opening is visible then affixing tape on the hub becomes invisible and not useful to the end user (not that I as the installer care if the drain cleaner loses a $5k camera right?)

I've seen one backwater warning label ever in my life about 8 years ago. Google comes up with nothing. I asked four of my drain cleaners and one of them said they had seen one or two labels ever.. My most experienced drain cleaner says he's never seen one.

An inspector actually wrote us up for not having the labels installed...

Does anyone know if there is a ready made product/label? How they attach? Good work arounds (my dad would have brought a bottle of whisky to meet the inspector )

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Over 50 years experience and never have I seen a warning that a back water valve was installed . I did have several cables caught up and and then had to try to find where the BWV was installed

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice idea. A pre-printed label would simplify that. Some distributor could get them pre-made and sell them as a line item. It would also be nice if the makers of the valve would package such a label, as they often do for the GFCI no-ground labels.

How about a Dymo Rhino or outdoor Vinyl label? http://www.dymo.com/en-US/ind-vinyl-labels-1-in or http://www.dymo.com/en-US/view-all-labels/rhino-ind-labels These are writable with their thermal printers.

I am picturing this label printed on the spot:
BACKWATER VALVE
DOWNSTREAM 12.5 ft.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is what we had printed up. Vinyl stickers and a laminate tag. So far we've affixed this to 3 systems and use construction adhesive to glue the tag to the cleanout plug itself.

Attachments

• BWV.jpg
    BWV.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 452
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks