Toilet runs every 15 minutes....obviously leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Barbara K

Reaction score
My Kohler toilet obviously has a leak. I have replaced the flapper with an original part. I have read through the thread and tried the various things. Yes the dye leaks into the toilet bowl. I also tried the o rings that someone mentioned to hold the flapper more securely. If I shut off the water to the tank it will eventually empty itself. It's not like I can see it rushing into the toilet bowl or anything. If I apply a little pressure to the flapper it seems as if it isn't leaking. I'm hoping someone can help. My dad always taught me to be independent and try to fix things myself. Of course he helped, he couldn't resist. He's gone now and I miss his wonderful words of wisdom and fix-it demonstrations.

Barbara K

Reaction score
Here's two pics, one of the parts list inside the lid and one of the inside of the tank which includes food coloring that is not leaking into the bowl which tells me the seal between the tank and bowl is good. I have checked the rim that the flapper sits on and it doesn't seem to have any abnormalities.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 398

Barbara K

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct pixels you asked for. Sorry Terry

I disconnected the chain from the lever and that's laying on the bottom of the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you apply pressure to the flapper and it seems to seal better, your options are:
Remove it and soak it in hot water to see if you can make it flatter.
Or replace with a new one.
You will want just a little slack when you are done with the chain. Fluidmaster also makes a nice adjustable 2" flapper for that.

Barbara K

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try this as soon as I get home. I was just so frustrated since I bought the name brand part. And silly me I thought just replacing it would work. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Feel around the seat under the flapper. Wipe any debris away with a cloth.

Barbara K

Reaction score
I placed the flapper in hot water and then reinstalled it. As I was putting it on I did check the area under the flapper for debris. Finding none I did notice that the seal is a little elevated at the lowest part of the base of the thingy that the flapper sits on (I know not very technical). I had to move the flapper back a little to get a nice seal. I turned the water on and no leak.

After waiting a few hours and the water had not kicked on in the tank I was so excited. Well after doing a test flush it appeared good. Twenty minutes later the water kicked on to top off the level in the tank. I bought a new flapper, went through the same steps with the same results.

I have two toilets that are the exact same brand and upon further investigation noticed that although the seals appear the same just the one on the tank that is leaking is elevated as if it has swelled up at that one place preventing a perfect seal. Can I take a straight blade and trim it down a bit?

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you are saying that the flush valve is defective. The flush valve is the white plastic apparatus that includes the mating surface for the flapper, as well as the overflow tube.

You probably don't have much to lose by trimming the high spot, but in the end the best thing is to replace the flush valve. It's not really hard but does entail taking the tank off, since you need to get at the base of the tank to get the flush valve off. It's a good DIY project but will mean buying a tool to get a large nut off the underside of the flush valve.

Barbara K

Reaction score
I tried trimming it down just a bit and so far so good. I may still end up needing to replace the flush valve but at least for now it's not leaking.

Thank you to all for lending your expertise. I really appreciate your taking time to help others.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds good -- best wishes that this problem is solved for a good long while.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Congratulations, Barbara K! You just saved yourself significant $$ and you now know a lot more about how toilets work! I hope you will continue to participate in our forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks